Nowadays, companies are feeling more and more the need for a Document Management System, because of the large amount of information they handle and create daily. That is why having an appropriate and complete DMS able to manage it accordingly has become a key factor.
The need for a good Document Management Software can not be denied. However, the process of selecting and buying this software is not trivial and requires a deep analysis of each of the company´s needs. Moreover, even when making this decision takes time, obtaining an assessment about the company´s needs also requires an extensive analysis of the choices available in the market. All these reasons are highly important to avoid making a mistake.
Facts to take into account when purchasing a Document Management Software
Greater efficiency and higher competitiveness, while saving time and money, are enough reasons to get a good Document Management System. Many are the elements to take into account: security, ease of use, reliability, speed, etc. However, above all,
- Flexibility and scalability are the most valuable factors when making a purchasing decision. The Document Management Software to be acquired must be able to adapt itself to the company´s needs and, at the same time, be flexible to fit future needs.
- Integration:The new Document Management Software must be completely compatible with the company’s existing infrastructure and integration with the current applications must be easy. In addition, it should be accessible from other existing software applications, such as email or fax software and the Internet.
- Low training needs and easy to use: First of all we should be aware that a document management software of system is at the core of our business applications. It is very common that users are reluctant to adopt new technologies, and consequently it will not provide all the value that could in improving business processes. It is therefore essential that the system us easy to use and has a simple, friendly and attractive interface. Besides the software vendor should have a training and consultancy department to accompany the implementation of the project.
- Storage capacity:The software should allow management of large amounts of information to cover the present and future company needs. Due to the increasing volume of data processed these days,
- Efficiency and productivity in document management are highly important: fast access, quick search distribution to users, “intelligent” document sorting, document scanning, etc.
- System backup: A secure and reliable backup system. When dealing with information security and due to the large amount of documents in use today, security levels can never be high enough.
- Finally, Technical Support: Support is basically important. Tech Support is an essential need since the moment of acquisition. Availability of a highly professional team that could offer quick responseand a work-around-the-clock service can be a critical factor when deciding between Document Management Software offers.
In conclusion, the job to choose an appropriate document management system for your company should not be subestimeated, because of the amount of elements to take into account. A correct purchase will greatly facilitate your business processes and will save company money.