Diabetes is a major health issue around the world and has almost reached epidemic proportions. In my family, four people have been diagnosed in the last 20 years alone and have needed to change the way they lived to prevent risk of damage to their body. This led me to want to find as many ways as I could to prevent this horrible condition. Here are10 ways you can change your life to prevent diabetes.
1. Move– One of the biggest risks for diabetes is not getting the amount of exercise you need to stay healthy. For me, this required a big change from doing nothing but work each day. It is recommended to get 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day to lower risk.
2. Choose Whole Grains– Foods like white bread, rice, and pastas have a high glycemic index that can cause large spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels. Multi- and whole-grain products significantly reduce chances for these unhealthy rises.
3. Vinegar– Two tablespoons of vinegar per day will lower the amount of blood sugar you receive from eating carb loaded food. If you don’t like taking it by itself try adding it to olive oil and using as a delicious salad dressing.
4. Drink Coffee– Studies by Harvard Medical School show that drinking coffee may help lower your risk for type-2 diabetes. The study showed that women who drank up to six cups per day lowered risk by 30%.
5. Eat Healthier– Eating food like vegetables, fruits, seeds, and whole grains significantly reduce your chance of being diagnosed with diabetes. Avoid foods like trans fats, chemicals, or highly processed foods. The Mediterranean diet is a healthy combination of healthy fats, spices, and vegetables that could keep diabetes at bay.
6. Replace Meat– If red meat is a large staple in your diet try switching it with soy instead. Studies have shown that eating red meat increases the chance of developing type 2 diabetes, the largest risk in women. Soy has many health benefits and many ways to be prepared for a healthy switch.
7. Water not Soda– Drinking large amounts of sugar laden drinks, like soda or juice concentrate, can have devastating effects on your health. These sugary drinks will break down meals faster, leaving you hungry earlier than normal, while also craving more sugary foods.
8. Reduce Stress– Although it hasn’t been scientifically proven that stress raises blood sugar, studies are on the way. Many doctors believe that a stressful situation or event could cause a spike which could lead to the development of diabetes.
9. Get Sun– Vitamin D, which we get by sun, plays a large role in the sensitivity and secretion of insulin in our body. In your spare time go outside and soak up a few rays to reduce the risk of complications.
10. Get Your Sleep– A loss in sleep increases the feeling of hunger, leading you to eat more, and therefore raising the risk of developing diabetes. Get enough sleep so you can avoid these complications.
Using any or all of these situations can help reduce your risk for diabetes at any age. Remember, if you experience any of the symptoms of diabetes contact your doctor for conclusive tests right away. Stay happy, stay healthy!
Mayo Clinic- Diabetes- Diseases and Conditions
Dr. Rob van Dam- Harvard- Coffee and Health
LifeScript- Ways to Prevent Diabetes
For more great health and fitness reading from this author, check out:
Surprisingly Healthy Common Spices
MDMA: Psychotherapy Drug of the Future
Pros and Cons of Light Therapy