It is more and more common to run into people who are vegetarians these day. This is because of all the health benefits surrounding cutting out meat from individual’s diets. One thing vegetarian’s do not want to do is sacrifice any taste and actually eating a delicious, filling meal. This stuffed mushroom dish will have any individual, regardless if they are a vegetarian asking for seconds!
Required ingredients to serve 4 people:
– 1 lb. lentils
– 3 cups water
– 1 stem basil
– 4 tbsp. minced garlic
– 1 lime (cut in half and juiced separately)
– 1 tbsp. chili powder
– 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
– 6 large mushrooms
– 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
-4 tbsp. tamari
-1 fennel bulb (chopped)
– 1 red pepper (chopped)
– 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
– 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
– 1 cup fresh organic spinach
– 1 cup of cilantro (chopped)
– 3/4 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
– dash of fresh ground pepper and salt
Take water and put in pan and place lentils on stove, proceed to bring to a boil. Add stem of basil, half of the lime that is cut into fourths, and 2 tbsp. of minced garlic. Let simmer for about 40 minutes until the lentils are tender and still firm.
Next, clean mushrooms and remove the stalks, chop and set aside. Next, sauté the whole mushroom caps for about 5 minutes in 3 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tbsp. of tamari, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and add 1 tbsp. of minced garlic. Then remove from heat and save all juices that could be left in pan.
Than sauté the fennel in 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tbsp. of minced garlic, when tender add the chopped mushroom stalks. Add the lentils, juices from mushrooms, and remaining tamari which should be 3 tbsp.
Next, sauté the red and yellow peppers for a few minutes in balsamic vinegar, and add spinach for roughly 5 minutes. Take pepper mixture and mix into lentil mixture and then fill the mushrooms.
Finally, to make a yogurt topping sauce, take the left over lime juice, 1 tbsp. minced garlic, cilantro leaves, and dash of salt and pepper and add to yogurt. Make sure to mix well and let sit in fridge for about 5 minutes. Proceed to serve with stuffed mushrooms with a spoonful of it on each.
1. It’s best to have a little extra that is why this recipe calls for 6 mushrooms to feed 4 people.
2. If you cannot find fresh organic spinach, the frozen verity will do fine.
3. Make sure to always use plain yogurt in this dish when shopping for ingredients.
4. You can substitute the cayenne pepper and chili powder for a dash of Tabasco.
5. Just to clarify about what to do with the lime, make sure to half the lime, cut one section into quarters and the other half is to be juiced for the yogurt topping sauce.