To measure the distance of an off-road trail with the new Google Maps, you will be creating your own map. Before you do that, you will need to be logged in to Google.
1. Go to maps.google.com to access the new Google Maps.
2. Click the gear-shaped icon at the bottom right-hand side of the map.
3. Choose the option that reads, “My Places,” from the pop up menu.
4. Click the words “Or create with classic My Maps,” which appear beneath the button that says, “Create Map.”
5. Complete the information in the text fields for the new map that you are creating. For example, if you are measuring the distance around Lane Name at Random State Park, you might type, “Random State Park” for the title, then describe it as “Random State Park in my city.”
6. Select whether you want your map to be public or unlisted beneath the text fields for your map title and description.
7. On the map, zoom into the location in which you want to measure an off-road trail.
8. Click on the zig-zag icon at the top of the map screen to create a trail along the path you would like to measure. Clicking along the off-road trail with your cursor will create points. Double-click to end the trail or click on the original point if you are creating a loop.
9. Title and describe your path in the pop-up text field. For example, if you’ve created the path around the lake, you might title it as “Lake Name Walking Trail,” then describe it as, “The walking trail that completely surrounds Lake Name.”
10. Note that the new Google Maps has already measured the distance of your off-road trail at the bottom of of the text field in which you titled and described the trail. Click “Okay,” to complete your map.
- If you just want to see the distance of the trail, you could leave the text fields in steps 5 and 9 blank then close the new Google Maps window once you’ve retrieved the distance information.
- To save this map for future reference, click the button that says, “Done” in the left-hand window near the top of the page. The left-hand window on your screen will change. You will now see the title of your map and the title of your walking trail.
- To access your map when you go to the new Google Map site again, click on “My Places” at the bottom right hand side of the screen from the gear-shaped icon that you used to begin creating your map. The left-hand window will show you a list of recent map searches as well as a list of maps you have created.