In recent years, salt has taken a bad rap in the media. You’ve heard that eating too much salt can cause high blood pressure, fluid retention and other health problems. Or maybe you heard about the importance of iodized salt for thyroid health.
The truth of the matter is that you are right to say that table salt is not healthy because it contains too much sodium, unlike natural salt, which is low in sodium. Table salt is added to the vast majority of processed foods, but if you follow a diet like the paleo diet, most likely you will have decreased your sodium levels.
– Table salt is 97% sodium chloride (NaCl) and the body must work hard to excrete it. For this reason, table salt creates great pressure on the body and heavy drinking contributes to health problems like high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney disease, and fluid retention.
– Salt is chemically produced, faded, and devoid of many nutrients, including trace elements (or trace minerals) that the body needs.
– Generally, table salt contains aluminum (which has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease)
– This type of salt is not naturally clever, in fact, if you put a fish in salt water with table salt, it dies.
Unfortunately, studies show salt that causes health problems are based on table salt, and natural salt does not contain trace elements. Thus, we have all been advised to avoid salt altogether. Following this advice can lead to other problems!
It is important to understand the difference between table salt and natural salt because our body needs minerals and trace elements present in the latter. Human blood has high concentrations of minerals and nutrients and we need them for our bones and organs to function properly. The key is to use natural salt and completely avoid table salt.
Lack of natural salt and mineral imbalance
This is a list of conditions resulting from a mineral imbalance in the body due to the lack of natural salt and/or excess table salt:
- Kidney Stones
- Swelling of joints
- Lack of sleep
- High blood pressure
- Malfunction of the adrenals
- Lack of coordination
- Fluid retention
Minimally processed, true salt
Celtic salt (traditionally collected from the coast of Brittany, France): contains over 80 minerals from the sea. The mineral content of this salt is optimal to maintain a good balance of blood pressure, aids digestion, and nourishes the adrenal glands. It is traditionally dried in the sun and wind, does not contain additives of any kind nor bleaches. It is light gray and has a rustic flavor.
Pink Himalayan Salt: contains the 84 elements found in the human body, in addition to important trace elements. It is collected in the ancient mines of Khewra, the second largest mine in the world, measuring 300km in Pakistan. It is pink / light red, with crystal clear color. This is free of any environmental toxins, additives and bleaches.
Benefits and uses of natural salt
– Bone Health: about 1/4 of the salt in our body is concentrated in the bones. When the levels of trace elements are not sufficient in the body, it uses salt from the bones to maintain operation in the rest of the body. This can be a huge factor in osteoporosis.
– Muscle cramps: Many athletes perform brine baths to relieve/prevent muscle cramps. This is because the trace elements and the pH present in natural salt are very beneficial for these conditions.
– Treating sinusitis: the use of a “neti pot” with warm water and Himalayan or Celtic salt is excellent for cleaning excess phlegm and lower inflammation in cases of sinusitis.
– Treating asthma, seasonal allergies and respiratory problems: the use of a porcelain inhaler with Himalayan salt crystals purifies and detoxifies the lungs and respiratory system. The antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of salt passes through the entire respiratory system.
Oral-Health: the trace elements present in natural salt helps balance the pH in the mouth and remineralize teeth. Pinch of Celtic salt natural toothpaste or a mouthful of water with natural salt can be of great help for oral health.
Adrenal and thyroid-glands: the pH of the trace elements in salt is very important for the proper functioning of these glands.
– Air Purifier: Himalayan salt lamps are not only beautiful, but also purify the air of EMFs (electromagnetic frequencies emitted by electronics like cellphones).
– Bath salts: ideal to calm nerves, relax muscles and treat bone pain. In a tub of warm water, put 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup baking soda.
– For skin: the use of a cream made of fine natural salt and water can treat problems of eczema or psoriasis naturally. For use as a natural scrub in the shower, you can mix table salt with coconut oil and olive oil.