Family game night is a time for the whole family to gather for an evening of bonding and entertainment. However, if family night is a regular occasion, it can be easy to run out of ideas. Try out these fun activities to keep family night new and exciting every week!
- Start a Family Band- You don’t need to be a musician to start a family band. All you need is a bit of creativity. Turn Tupperware into drums, fill a water bottle with beans for a maraca, and wrap some rubber bands around an open container for a make-shift guitar.
- Obstacle Course- A homemade obstacle course can make for a whole evening. Elevate a wooden plank on cinder blocks for a balance beam. Set up a pop up tunnel to crawl through. Stake some pool noodles into the ground to make a weaving course. Then time each family member to see who is the fastest.
- Talent Show- Talent shows are great for children of all ages. Tell your family about the talent show the week prior, so they have time to prepare. Allot about 15 minutes per act and award your kids with prizes for their amazing talents!
- Make Pottery- Make homemade pottery with clay. This activity can extend to two family nights; the first to make the pottery and the second to paint it.
- Scavenger Hunt- Scavenger hunts can take up to a couple of hours, so be sure to allot plenty of time. Make the scavenger hunt in advance, then have an adult team up with a child to complete the hunt together. Scatter treats and prizes along the way to keep everyone entertained.
- Ice Cream Contest- Have everyone in the family invent their own sundae or milkshake. Provide lots of different ice cream flavors and toppings. When you’re done, you can each test each other’s concoctions and vote on whose is the best.
- Karaoke- Have a karaoke night where you each take turns showing off your singing talents. Most kids love to sing, so this could easily turn into an entire evening of fun.
- Backyard Camping- Pitch a tent in the backyard for a night of family camping. Set up a camp stove to make s’mores and hot chocolate. Tell spooky ghost stories and gaze at the stars.
- Family Olympics- Family Olympics is fun for kids of all ages and activity levels. Set up a variety of activities and have the family compete. You can have egg tosses, apple bobbing, potato sack races, and more. This could easily be an entire evening of fun as long as you plan lots of games in advance.
- Movie Night- Spice up movie night by turning your house into a theater. Make fake money to distribute to each of your family members. Set up a concession stand with popcorn, candy, and drinks. Then let your kids purchase their tickets and concessions before the movie.
Simple Kids: Make Your Own Backyard Obstacle Course
Real Simple: Host Your Own Olympic Games for the Kids: Valerie Rains