Borderlands 2 has six playable characters each with unique skills and play styles. Many of the characters are very complicated, but Axton is just the opposite. He is a straight forward character designed to be easy to play and that will generally appeal to fans of first person shooters. Fans of role playing games will probably lean away from him, but even they may find some interesting options in his play style. If you are trying to figure out which character is the best choice for you, the following are the top five reasons to play as Axton the Commando in Borderlands 2.
5. You’ve Got a Nuke – No joke. Axton’s final skill in Gunpowder skill tree is actually called Nuke. Every time you use your action skill, which is about once a minute, you will drop a miniature nuke. Now that is playing with power.
4. Anime Fan – The voice of Axton is an actor famous for his voiceover performances in English dubs of anime. If you are an anime fan, you may recognize Robert McCollum from such anime as Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball GT, Samurai 7, or Soul Eater. It is a slightly unusual voice for a soldier, but his experience in voice acting really sells the performance. If you enjoy anime or just a good voice actor, this is an excellent character to play.
3. Big Guns – If you play a character like Maya the Siren, you end up using lots of elemental weapons that have side effects. It can be fun, but sometimes you want something a little more basic. Axton gives you exactly that. He has an entire tree devoted to big guns. Nothing fancy here. In fact, you deal less damage if the weapon is fancy. All you do with this skill tree is fire the biggest weapon you can until it is out of ammo and then switch to your next biggest weapon. Sometimes it is fun just to make the bad guys die really, really fast.
2. Shields – There are essentially two health bars in this game: your actual health bar and your shield. Everyone can, and should, wear a shield. But, Axton wears his shields just a little bit better. Actually, he wears them a lot better. A shield on Axton is worth about two to three times a shield on any other character, at least if you devote skill points to that. Lots of characters have regeneration and health restoration, but only Axton focuses on making all of that completely meaningless.
1. Grenades – There are a lot of guns in Borderlands 2, but there is one weapon that constantly gets the shaft. For some reason grenades are given short shrift throughout most of the game, unless, of course, you play as Axton the Commando. His grenades deal more damage than any others in the game and he can hold more of them. There aren’t a lot of weapons in this game that deal area damage, so a few grenades can really change the entire complexion of tough battle. Also, you can get some really great grenades early in the game after fighting Boom and Bewm. If you prefer the carnage of a well thrown grenade, definitely give Axton a try.