Before you move on to the list of the bestselling authors, I would like to make it clear that this list is made by my own individual reading experience and the opinions are totally personal. Also, don’t interpret it as ranking of any sort, for I strongly feel every author is best in his work.
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle- He is considered the father of criminology. His most famous works include a detective named Sherlock Holmes and his helping hand Dr. Watson who solve crimes based on evidence and logic that still seem too ingenious even in this modern hi-tech world. Holmes’ skill to derive conclusion from simple unnoticeable habits of people and use it as a tool to solve the most complicated criminal mysteries has made him an immortal character in the fictional world.
2. Dan Brown- He is renowned for his works on religious and symbolical mystery but they are not boring or spiritual by any stretch of imagination. Though his works include real places and events from ancient history, the stories are completely fictional and full of suspense, secrets and too many twists. A treat for those who like their stories to crisp and exciting from the beginning till the end.
3. Agatha Christie- She is arguably the most published fictional author. She made her mark with a character named Hercule Poirot who is similar to Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes in many ways. Though she has written many novels but my personal favorite is And Then There Were None which redefined the meaning of mystery for me. Her stories are rich in drama and engrossing till the climax.
4. Paulo Coelho- He is the most spiritual fictional writer that I’ve read. His works like Alchemist and Eleven Minutes walk a very fine line between fiction and spiritualism but since his characters are fictional and stories interesting, he made his place in this list. You might get a feeling of boredom at certain places in his books but they will make a mark in your minds once you complete them.
5. J.K Rowling- She is said to be the queen of children fantasy with her character Harry Potter, who became an idol for every youth all over the world. Her writing is a complete fantasy but still it is able to reach the heart of the readers and keep them hooked till the very end. Grown up realistic adults may not like it, but she is very popular among the youth and the children and definitely deserves a place in this list.
6. Chris Ryan- He is a former Secret Services soldier before he chose to enter the fictional world. His works are true to his past life, including lot of guns, fights and confidential secrets. If you want to see a person fighting in battles and pulling out covert operations with his intelligence, Chris Ryan is your man. Ryan’s books are totally entertaining and full of adrenaline.
7. Lee Child- Lee Child’s thrillers are based on the character named Jack Reacher who was a Major in Military Police. Reacher series is a complete combination of excitement of guns with investigation of mysteries. Everything that you might want packed in one place.
8. Stieg Larsson- He is the only writer in this list who was recognized after his death. Larsson’s most accomplished work is the Millennium Trilogy which has a genius but troubled teenage girl Lisbeth Salander as the lead. It features the modern day gadgets and forgotten mysteries combined with emotional mood swings of a teenager who happened to be a computer genius to deliver an absolutely thrilling masterpiece.
9. Suzanne Collins- She reached to fame with her trilogy The Hunger Games. Here also the lead is played by a teenage girl named Katniss who is a skilled archer. The novel is themed in future packed with advance technology yet the story seems to be real and characters realistic. It has lot of violence and fights but at the same time the emotions like love and compassion are strongly felt.
10. George R.R Martin- He is known for his work The Game of Thrones which is set in medieval backdrop. Though the novel is complete fantasy yet the characters are portrayed not in black or white but in different shades of grey which is the most significant selling point for this series. Lot of love, lust, betrayals and blood make it a gem of a novel.