I know of at least 5 reasons to hire a security guard. There are many good reasons to hire a security guard but several stand out for me. I have been involved in the private security industry for the last eleven years and I have seen an amazing amount of ways that people and businesses have used security to save money. There are many misconceptions. Delay can cause more loss or money, safety and expose you to increased liability.
In my experience, most businesses or people hire security after a problem or theft occurs. This reactive approach is not necessarily best. Many problems can be anticipated and should be addressed before liability, injury or theft occurs. Many people see security as an expense that can be cut or saved and in a tight economy it might be the first vendor service to go. If you have determined that security is a good idea or a necessity at this time consider these reasons to hire a security guard.
1. To deter violence to you, your customers or provide a more secure environment. This is a good liability reduction and studies have shown that even in a down economy, customers frequent businesses that have security officers at a higher rate than those that do not.
2. To deter or prevent theft from the business or its employees and customers. This seems obvious but it is often the last thing business owners consider. People don’t frequent business where they feel unsafe. If a person’s car gets broken into then they will not come back and they will tell their friends. The same goes with employees. Theft from business is sometimes hard to track but with retail stores it is easy. If an audit comes up and there are missing goods then someone has stolen them from you. In the grocery industry, the profit margin is so low that a theft can impact the business on a much bigger scale. Either way, nobody likes to be a victim of theft.
3. To provide an extra presence for safety. This happens a lot during the holidays. Shopping malls, strip malls and events hire extra or temporary security because of increased crowds and increased problems by criminals. A good security guard can deter a lot just with an assertive presence.
4. Because your customers, residents or employees expect it. This is a common occurrence because crime is so high. Many businesses have historically hired security “just because” they have problems and the patrons of their services have become accustomed to having seeing a guard.
5. A direct threat. This is a growing concern for schools, malls, employers, businesses and people with the spread of social media. FaceBook, Twitter, Myspace and other social networking sites are used to deliver specific threats of violence or bomb threats towards people. These threats must be taken seriously and responsibility falls on the business to take action to prevent the potential harm.
Hiring a responsible and professional security company can change a businesses reputation with consumers and deter problems. It can also enhance customer service, safety and eventually sales through proper implementation.