I have been in the private security business for eleven years and I have seen a lot of crazy things come out of the industry. There are good reasons to hire a security company/ guard and there are certainly many good reasons to terminate their services immediately. Here are my top five.
- Security Guard or Company is untruthful about ANYTHING. A security consumer has to trust its security company and the guards who spend time on the property. Security is responsible for property, inventory, damage, theft, crime prevention, loss prevention and providing responsible service to the client. There is NO ROOM in this business for 1/2 truths, lies or no response. If you are getting any of this from your current provider you may want to consider switching companies.
- Poor Performance. Guards are paid to be on time, working hard and diligent. They are not your employees and customers shouldn’t have to supervise their work. This is the job of the security company. Customers shouldn’t have to notify the company of a guard not “working out.” Professional companies hire the right people and provide internal oversight. If you have a guard that is lazy, shows up late or doesn’t do a good job this is a good reason to terminate the services of your security provider.
- A Guard No-Show. This is inexcusable. It is the security company’s responsibility to responsibly schedule guards and verify that they will be at work. Furthermore, it is also the company’s responsibility to ensure that they show up on time. It is common for guards not to show up, call off with little or no notice or quit without notice. It happens in the industry. A good security guard company will have redundancies in place to ensure that your post does not go uncovered and that your guard is actually there. If they are not responsive in this manner, get rid of them!
- Ineffective at Deterring Crime. We hire guards to deter crime. If they can’t do this part of their job you are probably better with no guard service. It would certainly be cheaper for the client. I have taken over many security accounts because the former security company had ineffective guards that could not stop crime. Selection and training of guards is important and placing guards with experience in stopping crime is paramount if you are hiring a company for that reason. Not all guards are created equal. Think about it.
- Billing Discrepancies. If you security company doesn’t not send you an accurate invoice then there are problems. If the company doesn’t even know how many hours a guard was on the property then how would they be responsible to ensure that supervision was performed or the job was well done. If your security company can’t bill you correctly then I would say that is a good reason to find another one.
It is not uncommon for customers to switch security companies and that is OK. Security in is complicated and you must ensure that you have a good, honest working relationship with your security partner. We all know when we are being lied to or receiving excuses. I don’t give them and I don’t expect to take an excuse from a security provider. Consumers pay a lot of money to a security company and they deserve the service that was contracted. Good luck.