Godzilla has fought his fair share of monsters over the years, and all of them have been interesting in their own special way. But in my eyes, there are certain monsters that stand out above the others. They are as follows.
1) King Ghidorah– This is arguably the most popular of Godzilla’s foes, and for good reason. For one, he’s a three-headed golden dragon that shoots lightning from its mouth. It doesn’t get much cooler than that. Not to mention that the high pitched screech he emits is quite unsettling. In the earlier films, Ghidorah is a space monster whose only goal is to destroy. Godzilla is never able to defeat Ghidorah in a one on one fight, which shows that not only is he Godzilla’s coolest enemy, he’s also one of the strongest.
2) Destoroyah– A direct byproduct of the Oxygen Destroyer that killed the original Godzilla in 1954, Destoroyah is one scary monster. Initially Destoroyah is several crab like creatures, but before long they combine to create a giant winged demon that looks like a cross between the Balrog from Lord of the Rings and the Devil himself. Godzilla is unable to stop him on his own, and in the end needs aid from the military to bring the terrible creature down. This possibly makes him Godzilla’s strongest enemy to date, and certainly the most frightening in terms of design.
3) Orga– In the movie Godzilla 2000, Orga first appears as a giant silver UFO that rises from the bottom of the ocean. Godzilla confronts the UFO several times before it turns into the monstrous Orga, which reminds me of a cross between the Cloverfield monster and a gorilla. Orga attempts to swallow Godzilla whole in an attempt to become a clone of the King of the Monsters, but Godzilla uses his atomic breath to quickly dispose of the creature. It’s a great fight, and a great way to kick off the millennium series of Godzilla films.
4) Mothra– There’s nothing particularly special about Mothra, I’ve just always really liked it. This is another very popular Toho creation, originally appearing in the 1961 film Mothra and then going on to appear in eight Godzilla films, and three more of its own films. Mothra is often Godzilla’s enemy and usually ends up defeating Godzilla in some way or another despite it being a far weaker monster than the Big G. But there are several instances when Mothra and Godzilla team up, usually to fight King Ghidorah.
5) Baragon– I have always been a fan of Baragon, even though he is not highly regarded as one of Godzilla’s most popular enemies. I think his design, though simple, is very cool. To me, he is a very underrated monster. He originally appeared in the 1965 film Frankenstein Conquers the World, but besides a very brief appearance in 1968’s Destroy All Monsters, did not have a starring role in a Godzilla film until 2001’s Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack. In this film, he is one of the three guardian monsters that attempt to destroy Godzilla. He puts up a decent fight, but in the end is no match for the King of the Monsters, and is destroyed.