What is it about a video that makes it go viral? Of course, videos featuring celebrities easily generate thousands of views within days. However, for the video uploaded by the average Joe or Jane, it takes a certain attention-grabbing element for it to obtain views in blowout numbers.
Anyone has what it takes to make a video go viral, and it doesn’t require anything more than a few seconds of footage taken from a cellphone cam. While luck is involved to a degree, it is much more about providing content that viewers would deem worthy of sharing through social media and word-of-mouth.
Why Would Someone Watch Your Video in the First Place?
What are the motivations for watching a video on YouTube? While some may watch a video for informational purposes, more often, people watch a video to be entertained. Whether it is a slow day in the office or because they have nothing better to do at home, people watch short videos because they want to laugh, to feel inspired or simply be amazed. For a video to leave its mark, the viewers need to undergo any of the following:
- Laugh from the belly
- Feel heartwarming inspiration that causes tears to roll
- Feel their jaw drop because they just saw something unbelievable and utterly amazing
- Make them say to themselves “Is this for real?”
- Make them go “awe” due to the sheer cuteness of the content
Think about viral videos on YouTube that don’t involve celebrities. They all involve to an extent one of those five elements. They are also so out of the norm that people can’t help but talk about them. Consider the following examples of videos that have gone viral and how they fit into the paradigm:
- Lost Child Turns Out to be a Musical Whiz – This is a video of a young boy, no more than 10 years of age completely owning a piano at a Costco store as if he was Beethoven incarnate. Patrons passing by soon became mesmerized and began filming this child prodigy on their cellphone cams. This video clearly falls under the category of being unbelievable and utterly amazing.
- Cute Kitten’s Little Meows – This is a 30 second video of a kitten meowing. Despite its simplicity, the video has managed to obtain over 2,300,000 as of February 2014. The reason is because it has a tremendous “cuteness factor” that makes viewers want to grab a hold of that kitten and hug, squeeze and kiss the living daylights out of it.
- One of the Most Inspirational Videos Ever – This one’s a real tear jerker and is a compilation of service members returning home from deployment and surprising their parents/children at home or school. Whether you can relate to the video or not, it is one that brings a tear to your eyes because it reminds one of the importance of family and the tremendous sacrifices our men and women in uniform endure.
Other Sites Where You can Find Funny/Inspirational/Amazing Videos
Sure, you can just go to YouTube to look for videos, but with millions of uploaded videos and hundreds of thousands more added on a daily basis, you may end up spending more time browsing than watching. Some of the following sites feature a database of videos that will either make you laugh, cry, feel inspired or a combination of all of those.
Like a Boss – This site features a library of videos that tug on your emotions a little deeper than the average video you watch just for the sake of boredom or killing time. Every video featured on the site are uploaded by members but require approval by a content team. This way, only legitimate videos make it through the filtering process. Like a Boss also only allows videos that are of a positive nature, such as those that are meant to uplift, inspire and tickle the funny bone.
Viral Viral Videos – This site is made up of an internal team whose job and duty is to scour YouTube and other video share sites for viral content. All videos are labeled and categorized into classifications that include cute, funny, classics, spoofs and just outright weird. There are also viral videos related to animals, food, sports and video games. It also has a separate section dedicated to viral photos obtained from social media with funny captions added for humor.
Inspirational Video Collection – This site is owned and operated by S&J Lighthouse Enterprises and houses a collection of inspirational and motivational videos. All videos posted are designed to help viewers answer the following three questions: “Why am I here?”, “What is the purpose of life?” and “what is my purpose in Life?” The site is a Christian-based website and operates on the premise that laughter and inspiration is good for the soul.
In a day and age where just about anything can be captured on film, videos are all over the Web. The ones that happen to go viral are the ones that really pull on the human emotion. These are the ones that the viewers deem worthy of being shared and soon become Web sensations as a result.