Whether you are just starting out in your Marine Corps career or you have been in for a while, there are certain things you can do to make your career successful. The most important point to remember is that the Marine Corps needs Marines who will follow orders, no questions asked. If you don’t like the orders, you have to learn to obey them in spite of your personal feelings. This can be extremely frustrating at times and not everyone has the personality for it. It is best to find out if you have the personality to handle this before going in to the Marine Corps.
Here are five things you should do for Marine Corps career success.
1. Follow orders. This is by far the most important rule. Following orders without question is the top priority of the Marine Corps. This is the foundation upon which the Marine Corps works. They want people who will follow orders, no matter how dangerous they may be and do it quickly. You must resolve yourself to being able to do this. If you cannot, it is going to bring you hardships.
2. Do not question authority. The Marine Corps does not smile down on questioning authority. This can get you and trouble, both personally and professionally. They don’t want you to ask why, they just want you to do what they tell you to do. You are not going to be able to change tradition or the way they do things. Either get on board and do what you’re told, or you can hit the highway.
3. Have a good PFT/cutting score. Physical fitness tests are conducted regularly and contribute toward your cutting score. The cutting score determines whether or not you will get promoted. Having a good PFT and cutting score is one of the quickest ways to accelerating up the ranks. Make sure that you keep them as high as possible.
4. Have an excellent ability to clean things. Despite movies, TV, and dramatic stories, most of a Marine’s time will be spent cleaning things. You read that correctly. Sweeping, mopping, and other cleaning related tasks will be a daily and weekly thing. Field days are especially entertaining. This is where you are required to clean your room and pass a weekly inspection.
5. Adapt and overcome to any situation. Adapt and overcome is one of the Marine Corps’ mottos. That is because Marines are expected to fight in any clime and place. In combat, a situation can change in mere seconds. Marines are taught to be able to adapt and overcome situations to make the best decisions possible for that moment. You have to be quick, sharp, and focused at all times on your job in order to remain successful.
On the surface, these five tips seem like they would be easy to follow. However, most Marines do not take into consideration how their personalities will mess with these rules. It can be quite a culture shock to go from doing what you want to do to being under contract to do what the Marine Corps tells you to do. Yes, you get plenty of glory and thank you’s from civilians, but part of that is because you’re taking on the challenges that most people are not willing to do. They are willing to honor you because they know there are things that need to be done that no one else will step up to do. That is why you get thanks and appreciation for the sacrifices you make in the name of freedom for all.
Source: Personal experience