The hair cut. The tall posture. The Marine Corps jargon. Usually it’s easy to spot a Marine. They stand apart from the rest, tall and proud. So it is a bit surprising to find out that some of our favorite celebrities were devil dogs. Some celebrities admit to having served while others deny ever having been part of the Marine Corps (Why? I don’t know either). Here are a list of the top 6 celebrities who you never knew were Marines.
1. Bea Arthur. I admit it, I am a HUGE Golden Girls fan. Dorothy is my favorite. I was shocked to learn that she was in fact a Marine. However, I was even more shocked to learn that she denied her service when asked in interviews. Documents surfaced to show her photograph and information of enlistment. She definitely was a Marine!
2. Drew Carey. This Price is Right star was a Marine reservist in 1980, serving six years. I always thought he seemed like a kind person. Carey attributes his recent weight loss to wanting to be around for his son. His father died due to weight-related issues. He wanted to make sure his son wouldn’t have to grow up without his father.
3. Rob Riggle. You may have seen him in many comedy movies. Riggle recently retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps reserve. He was a public affairs officer. Speaking as someone who was also in public affairs, I can say Riggle was definitely in the right MOS.
4. Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan). Most to know him as Capt. kangaroo, but Bob Keeshan enlisted in the Marine Corps right out of high school. He wanted to fight the Japanese, but were ended before he was able to get a piece. She said, he became a popular children’s television host.
5. Bozo the Clown (Bob Bell). Bob Bell spent 25 years as Bozo the clown. However, prior to that, he enlisted in the Marine Corps. He was nearly blind and one I but was able to enlist anyway because he memorized the eye chart. However, the Marine Corps eventually found out and discharged him. He went into the Navy before going on to children’s programming. The Simpsons show character Krusty the Clown was modeled after Bob Bell’s impression of Bozo the Clown.
6. Romany Malco. You may not recognize his name, but Romany Malco is a hilarious comedy performer having starred in movies like the 40-year-old Virgin. He spent time in the Marine Corps and now gives back by going on USO tours.
As you can see Marines come in all shapes and sizes, as well as characters and personalities. You never know when one of your favorite celebrities is also her served in the Marine Corps.