Thinking about joining the Marine Corps? You may want to consider this article first. Most people believe that becoming a Marine means that you are an automatic hero battling the enemy straight out of boot camp. This isn’t always the case. A Marine doesn’t spend most of his enlistment in combat. In fact, an argument can be made that Marines spend more time cleaning than they do fighting.
If you are interested in becoming a Marine take a look at these 10 reasons to stay away from the Marine Corps to make sure you don’t mind doing any of the following:
1. You aren’t interested in serving anyone but yourself. If your future plans involve only worrying or carrying about yourself the Marine Corps is definitely not for you. Serving means serving someone other than yourself. The entire method of serving in the military means you watch out for your brothers and sisters as they do the same for you. Don’t waste your time or anyone else’s by signing up.
2. You want to be a hero in an action war movie. I fear what delusions future generations will succumb to as they realize that real life is not reality television. War is not funny, nor a joke. The heroes are usually buried six feet under and their medals given to their families. Do not even think about going into the Marine Corps if you think all you will be doing is saving the day.
3. You don’t like to travel. Marines go where the fighting is at. That requires traveling. Every Marine is subject to deployments at any time per the needs of the Marine Corps. Expect to travel. Be surprised when you don’t have to travel.
4. You don’t like anyone telling you what to do. The Marine Corps is definitely not the place for you if you can’t take orders from others. This is all you will be doing while in and usually it’s going to be from someone who is younger and in many cases, more inexperienced than you. This is the way it goes. Because they joined earlier than you did, they have had more time in and a chance to be a higher rank. It doesn’t matter. The Marine Corps follows the chain of command from the bottom to the top. If you can’t handle that, don’t even bother thinking about joining.
5. There is no obligation to have honor or integrity. You will be put in many situations where you need good character and integrity. If you don’t know what these things are you have no business being in the Marine Corps. These values are held dearly and what set us apart from others. If you don’t already have honor and integrity or the desire to have them, then the Corps isn’t for you.
6. You hate the government. I don’t know how to tell you this but if you hate the government then don’t join the Marine Corps. Not only is the Marine Corps a government run organization but its purpose is to act on the decisions that the government makes. That means that many government decisions that you don’t agree with will be acted out by the military.
7. You want to think for yourself. I am not saying that Marines don’t think for themselves. I am saying that you are required to follow orders whether you agree with them or not. Any opposition will be crushed. The Marine Corps does not put up with dissention in the ranks. You will either conform or you will be punished.
8. You don’t believe in violence. Conscientious objectors need not apply. Not sure where the memo was lost but the military is a combat oriented organization. If you don’t believe in violence then do not show up for the college and free health care benefits.
9. You can’t be away from your friends and family for any period of time. There is nothing wrong with a little homesickness. It happens to most everyone. However, if you completely shut down when you are away from friends and family for any reasonable amount of time then joining the Marine Corps is not for you. Deployments can last for over a year at a time and multiple deployments have become the norm in recent years. There are life and death situations that occur in the Marine Corps. They need Marines who can concentrate on that and less on not being home.
10. You don’t like getting dirty. Do I even HAVE to elaborate on this? Marines do the job that no one else wants to do. MOST of the time you get dirty doing it.
To be a Marine you have to conform. Trying to get them to conform to you is out of the question. If you can’t understand that then the Marine Corps is not for you. Don’t even waste your time trying.