Just like in real estate, location is the most important factor in a website’s success. “Location” here refers to a website’s rank in the search engine results pages, not a physical location. Goal of search engine optimization is to get to the top of search engine results pages and it is a complex endeavor. One of the most important factors in search engine optimization is the use of keywords. It is important to determine the keywords to be used on the site’s pages before any content is produced.
The Importance of Keywords for Search Engine Optimization
- Keywords are not the only thing to consider when it comes to search engine optimization, but as they provide insight into what people want, they should definitely be kept in mind. Keyword analysis is not about trying to trick search engines, it is about how a website’s content is focused to meet the demands of its users.
- To focus the content, it will necessary to find out what users are demanding. Search engine queries and the keywords used within them show the searcher’s intent; keywords are used to articulate a searcher’s demand. Different searchers will want different things so content must therefore be created with different potential intents in mind.
- Longer and more detailed keywords are called “long tail” keywords. These are where the customer’s demand is specific and more precisely articulated. Long tail keywords allow content to be tailored very specifically to the customers’ needs. This means that search engines are more likely to give a higher rank to a website that uses those keywords; it also means that potential customers are more likely to find what they want on the site and convert to paying customers.
What is a “Good Keyword for Search Engine Optimization?”
A good keyword will be one with a high search volume; this means that there are a lot of people who are searching for it. A higher volume of searchers means that it will be possible to draw in a significant number of visitors to the website using that keyword, which is an essential part of making the website profitable. Search volume is not the only thing to be considered here, however; competition is also important. Since there are a lot of people searching with that particular keyword, there will probably be a lot of other websites using it as well. More competition means that it will be more difficult to rise to the top of the results pages.
Conducting Keyword Research for Search Engine Optimization
There are many tools designed for keyword analysis and they vary when it comes to user-friendliness. Among the most widely used is Google’s AdWords Keyword Research Tool. It can provide keywords to consider based on certain phrases, and it shows how many searches are conducted globally and locally for a particular phrase. The tool will also provide an estimate of how difficult it will be to get to the top of the search engine results pages for a particular keyword.
Benefits of Keyword Analysis for Search Engine Optimization
- Keyword analysis can show up markets that have yet to be tapped by competitors. This means that it is possible for a website to rank highly in those markets with little or no competition.
- Spotting trends early on is another factor that can make a website more competitive. Knowing what the market will want ahead of time can provide an advantage over the competition.
- Keywords can provide information on what competing websites are doing to be successful. This information can be used to imitate them and implement similar strategies.