During Christmas a couple years ago I decided to make an elaborate graham cracker windmill. I found a great looking one on Pinterest but when I tired to make it the final product didn’t turn out how I wanted it to. Here’s my story.
Finding the “perfect” windmill on Pinterest.
I first went searching for the “perfect” graham cracker windmill on the internet as soon a I decided to make one. I came across a picture of one that was posted on Pinterest. This picture on Pinterest redirects to DeviantArt and can be seen here. As you can see this windmill is mainly made out of graham crackers and icing. I liked this idea of making it out of graham crackers instead of gingerbread and thought I could simply cut the shapes I wanted with a knife. It ended up being a completely different story.
I didn’t want to spend a lot of money so I thought a jar of frosting and graham crackers would be very easy and cheap. In addition to the graham crackers and frosting I also ended up using a little bit of red and green fondant, two red candies, and my two “secret ingredients”, hot glue and wooden skewers. I’ll explain the hot glue and wooden skewers later.
Putting together the windmill.
First I took two pieces of graham crackers and made the outer triangle. I covered both of these graham crackers heavily with frosting, as depicted in the windmill I was trying to recreate. At this point I thought things were going great. Things soon turned for the worst. I soon found out that I needed to cut another piece of graham cracker to enclose the windmill. This was not fun at all since every time I tried to cut a piece that would exactly match up to the triangular graham cracker structure that I made the entire piece of graham cracker would break. I managed to finally get a piece that was close to the shape I needed by cutting very slowly with the knife. I soon attached this piece to the triangular structure with frosting. After that I then started making the sails.
Again I ran into a major problem when trying to make the sails. In the original windmill it’s clearly seen that the graham crackers that are used to make the sails are cut. When I tried to do the same with my graham crackers again I would ended up breaking the entire piece. My final product shows that I ended up just cutting along the lines that graham crackers usually have. It’s the only way I could figure out how to make the sails.
Hot glue and wooden skewers.
A couple days passed because I was trying to let the frosting dry and harden. Long story short the sails never stayed attached to the base of the windmill with frosting. This is where the hot glue and wooden skewers came into play. In the picture of my windmill you can slightly see the wooden skewers on the bottom of the windmill. The back side of the windmill was a different story though. There was so much hot glue and wooden skewers used on the backside that I virtually make a wooden skewer windmill that was decorated with graham crackers and frosting. The structure itself ended up being very sturdy though. I accidentally knocked it over and it didn’t break because of all the hot glue and wooden skewers.
My final product.
Obviously my windmill looks nothing like the windmill I was trying to recreate. When I ran into so many problems just making the actual structure I gave up on trying to decorate it like the original windmill. I ended up using fondant because it’s very easy to cut and shape and I didn’t feel like doing anymore work on the windmill as I had already spent about a week on it. My windmill ended up being not edible and I soon threw it away after I took a picture of it. I didn’t want anyone trying to eat it since I knew how much glue was used on it. I think if I ever try making something like that again I’ll need a stronger base. I thought the graham crackers would be easier to use but now that’s all over with I think it would have been easier making it out of gingerbread.