The secret to effective marketing is to appeal to your audience’s interests. If they can’t relate to your content, they will have no interest in what you have to say. This is true regardless of the method you use. Once you understand that, then publishing that content through various methods can be extremely effective. Here are five ways to market your travel blog.
1. Social media sites. No one will argue that today’s social media sites are the quickest way to spread information across the globe. The term “viral” means just that. However, with all of this information being passed around it can get difficult for people to discern what they want to see over miscellaneous information they have no interest in. Your job is to make your content interesting to them. But which social media sites should you entertain? Stick with the ones you use most often. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and so on. Those sites will be the ones you are going to remember to post regularly. This not only makes the best use of your time but ensures that you will interact with those on your friends list.
2. Word of mouth. This is still the best and most direct form of advertising around. When you have had a bad experience, how many people did you tell? Most likely, you told everyone who would listen. How about when you had a good experience? You can see where I am going with this. A good business reputation will spread fast but a bad reputation spreads like wild fire. This is true for blogs and online businesses too. Make sure your reputation is known to provide great quality travel content.
3. Forums and online communities. Get involved with online forums. They are a great way to get new blog ideas and to help answer questions about travel. Make sure that your contributions are not self-serving, however. Forums do not take kindly to spamming. Offer genuine thoughts and opinions and allow your signature line to mention your travel blog address. If they like what you have to say they will click over to your site.
4. Article directories. Writing for article directories are a great way to get back links to your travel blog. It’s also a way to spread the word that your travel blog exists. Again, the idea is to give useful information about your niche.
5. Blog comments. Commenting on other people’s blogs is another way to get noticed for your travel blog. It also helps form friendly relationships with other bloggers who are looking for the same thing you are- traffic and commentary. Help each other out by establishing a good rapport. You could even develop a blog tour where you interview each other for your respective blogs.
There you have it! There are literally countless ways to market your travel blog. Stay focused on the audience who is already interested in travel and wants to know more about the cities and interests you write about. That’s the easiest way to gain traffic. Use the suggestions above to maximize exposure to your travel blog.
Source: Personal experience