The Detroit Lions were busy in the off season so far. They have lost some players to free agency and they signed some as well. Detroit Lions are hoping that this influx of new talent will help them improve on their 2013, 7-9 season, and get them to the 2014 playoffs. After their end of year implosion, they fired head coach Jim Schwartz and hired new head coach Jim Caldwell who was the former coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Caldwell is the opposite personality of Schwartz and will bring a calming to what is a very emotional team. His confidence and leadership will immediately make an impact on the field, especially on the new players signed. The tide is turning positive in Detroit and 2014 might be the breakout season that the Lions make the 2014 playoffs. The 2014 NFL playoff race will be tightly contested and decided at the earliest in week 16. Most likely in week 17, as the NFC North is the most evenly matched division in the NFL.
Players lost in the off season to other teams
- Nate Burleson WR–one year contract with the Cleveland Browns.
- Blake Clingan P–one year contract the Washington Redskins
- Louis Delmas FS–one year contract with the Miami Dolphins.
- Jason Fox T–one year contract with the Miami Dolphins.
- Shaun Hill QB–one year contract with the St. Louis Rams.
- Israel Idonije DE–one year contract with the Chicago Bears.
- Willie Young DE–one year contract with the Chicago Bears.
Players signed in free agency from other teams
- Kourtnei Brown LB–signed from Buffalo Bills
- Jed Collins FB–signed from New Orleans Saints
- James Ihedigbo SS–signed from Baltimore Ravens
- Vaughn Martin DE–signed from Miami Dolphins
- Dan Orlovsky QB–signed from Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Naaman Roosevelt WR–signed from Cleveland Browns
- J.B. Shugarts T–signed from New York Jets
- Darryl Tapp LB–signed from Washington Redskins
Golden Tate WR–signed from Seattle Seahawks
The big signings are obviously wide receiver and special teams player Golden Tate to replace the loss of wide receiver, Nate Burleson. A definite upgrade and should just add to the arsenal for Matt Stafford. We all saw how terrible QB Matt Stafford looks without WR Calvin Johnson on the field. The addition of Jed Collins should help create some holes for Reggie Bush and aid the Lions in the red zone. They have added some depth to the linebacker corps and brought in Vaughn Martin to add some depth behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and C;J. Mosely. Good additions with a change in the coaching staff will make this Detroit Lions a team to watch in the 2014 NFL season.
Subscribe to Tom Reddy articles – -make sure you click the subscribe button in the yellow box, you can unsubscribe at any time through any sent email and your email address will not be shared with anyone.
More content from this contributor:
- 2014 Detroit Lions NFL Draft Report Card and Player Analysis
- 2014 Green Bay Packers NFL Draft Report Card and Player Analysis
- 2014 Minnesota Vikings NFL Draft Report Card and Player Analysis
- 2014 Chicago Bears NFL Draft Report Card and Player Analysis
- The NFL Changes Super Bowl Format