It is officially Spring time-my favorite time of year! I love Spring because it gives me the opportunity to wear all the cute (and revealing) clothing that I couldn’t wear during the winter. I love Spring colors, spring fragrances, and most of all, spring beauty.
Spring is the perfect time of year to experiment with soft colors and light formulas. It’s the perfect thing to wear after a couple of seasons of heavy and dark/smoky makeup. Down below are the five light, fun, and not to mention, affordable essentials that we should have in our makeup bag for spring…
- 1. Tinted moisturizers. Give your skin a break from heavy foundation and wear a tinted moisturizer. These are really light in formula and give sheer to medium coverage. They don’t cover all your flaws, but they make your skin tone and skin texture much more evened out and leaves a natural looking finish-unlike many foundations. TIP: If you can’t find a tinted moisturizer in your skin tone, simply take your favorite foundation and mix a drop or two of it into your face lotion before you apply it. This gives that same sheer coverage as a tinted moisturizer.
- 2. Pastel eye shadows. These are very tricky for women of color because if we wear too much, it can look very frosty (especially when applied beneath the brow) and pasty. But when we keep the color on the eye lid, it stands out and looks beautiful. Experiment with lavender, light blue, peach, and my new favorite, light green. And don’t be afraid to wear yellow eye shadow too! It looks great on dark skin. TIP: Make your eyes stand out by wearing black mascara with your pastel lids or by wearing false lashes. Try to skip the eye liner and let the lashes do the talking.
- 3. Pastel nail colors. Why not get pastel nail polishes to go with your eye shadows? Try colors that have a creamy, opaque finish. Ones that are sheer or noticeably shimmery look best in the summer (especially on toes!). Polish with one coat, let it dry, then do another coat. TIP: You can make your manicure last at least two days longer if you use a clear top coat. Just remember to let each coat dry before applying another.
- 4. Blush sticks. What I love about blush sticks is that the amount of color it puts on your cheeks is totally up to you. It’s easy to apply, so you can use little by little in order to get the desired results. A sheer wash of blush looks great with your tinted moisturizer and pastel eyes. Just dab on a little on the apples of your cheeks and blend it in with your fingertips. TIP: Not sure what shade of blush to buy? Try any color you like! Just remember that shimmery colors can end up looking frosty and pasty (just like the pastel eye shadows), so choose colors that are more solid and less shimmery. The darker your skin, the less shimmery your blush should be.
- 5. Blotting tissues. Just in case your skin gets a little oily, you may want to have some blotting tissues handy. These are great for spring and summer because it keeps you from having to add more powder on your face in order to keep a non-oily finish. If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin, this will be the best option for you. Layering on powders can clog your pores, but blotting tissues can get you the same results without the risk of breakouts.
And there you have it, ladies. 5 beauty essentials for the spring. The good thing is that most of these are reasonably affordable and great for summer use to, so don’t be afraid to stock up. Have a happy spring!