Southern California is known for the beach, Beverly Hills, and blonde bombshells, but drive for two or three hours east on I-10 and you’ll come to another lifestyle…another world. The Southern California desert is home to hundreds of thousands of people (both celebs and ‘civilians’ alike) as well as plenty of desert and mountain critters. When you decide to ditch your city smog, crystal clear air and warm sunshine greets you! Here are five unique attractions found in the Coachella Valley and beyond!
1. Palm Springs Tramway. Two-and-a-half miles above the Coachella Valley desert floor is a world waiting to be explored. Board the World’s Largest Rotating Tramcars and find yourself ascending into a wilderness unlike the desert you’ve just come from. With beautiful temperatures and incredible views, the PS Tramway is a perfect day getaway!
2. Whitewater Preserve. Whether you’re in the mood for some catch-and-release fishing, stargazing, or family friendly fun, Whitewater Preserve is a fun outing for family and friends. There is plenty to do, see, and learn while at the Whitewater Preserve. Guided walks can take you throughout the entire conservancy, while fishing programs keep you close to the water (and the action!). There are opportunities for volunteers, visitors, and group visits!
3. Joshua Tree National Park. Joshua Tree National Park offers all the fun that an extreme sport enthusiast would enjoy: rock climbing, mountain biking, off-roading, and much more! For those living life on the safe side, there are self-guided tours – both driving and walking. Adventure abounds in all corners of this large national park…and all for a low price!
4. The Living Desert. The Living Desert prides themselves with educating the masses about desert conservation. But while you’re being educated, you’re definitely being entertained. With dozens of exhibits, aviaries, and gardens, this attraction is sure to please animal lovers of any age! And at affordable prices, it’s a journey through the desert…one animal at a time.
5. The McCallum Theatre. Home to the Desert Valley’s theatre and performing arts, the McCallum Theatre hosts a variety of shows previously seen on Broadway and beyond! Whether it’s the latest revival of Les Miserables or a special concert starring Michael Bublé, you’re bound to find a thrilling change of pace when you enter the luxurious McCallum Theatre.
If you find yourself a couple hours east of L.A. and with an empty itinerary, these attractions will delight and deliver a fun-filled afternoon for all!