I recently had a user who was trying to check out a document in SharePoint 2010 and they kept getting the message
The File ” http://sitename/site/folder/filename.xls ” is locked for exclusive use by domainusername
Now if you Google this error you will find a workaround suggested by Microsoft as wait 10 minutes and the system will resolve the error on its own. This is a built in functionality that. This was not the case for my user they still couldn’t access the file; I wasn’t able to either and I couldn’t force a check-in on the file.
I did find a third party SharePoint application that claimed to fix this problem, but I don’t like deploying untested code to a production environment, but hey that’s just me. If there is a fix that doesn’t interfere with my SharePoint farm, either by messing with settings or deploying code (especially third party untested code) I will take that route any day of the week.
What I ended up doing to solve this problem was the following:
1. Click on the file to open it
2. Select Edit Option when opening it
3. Make a small change to the file (anything should work)
4. Click File
5. Click Save
6. Click File
7. Click Close
8. Close out Excel
9. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
10. Select ‘Start Task Manager’
11. In Task Manager click on the Processes tab.
12. Look for any Excel.exe processes and if there are any highlight them and click the ‘End Process’ button to end them.
13. Close out Task Manager
14. Try to check out the file, it should work now
This was what ended up solving the issue for my user, I am not entirely sure why SharePoint was stuck on this file, it really believed that it was checked out and wouldn’t act right until we completed the steps above. Hopefully this will help others avoid having to install any applications to their SharePoint 2010 farm in order to solve this issue.
If you do want to try the third party tool I found please click this link .