People are living longer than ever, yet your everyday habits dictate how youthful you really feel. I want to stay as young as possible for as long as possible! In fact, after making the following tips my everyday habits I feel better now than I did ten years ago. What I’ve discovered is that eternal youth has more to do with the way you feel and think rather than lack of wrinkles.
1. Keep your attitude young by living each day as if it were your first rather than your last. I used to subscribe to the thinking that by living each day as if it were my last I’d be happier. Not so! I felt stressed out, worrying about everything that needed to be done or how much I hated what I was doing because, well, it could be my last day! Instead, face each day with wonder and eagerness. What new thing can you do that you’d enjoy? What old hobby can you pick up again that will make you happier? Kids like to play and that doesn’t have to stop just because you’re an adult.
2. Keep your body moving everyday in some way. When you’re sedentary you feel stiff and older than your actual years. If you don’t like exercising then find something you do enjoy doing such as taking walks, hiking, yoga, marital arts, dancing, a sport, gardening, anything you can do to stay active. Exercise also releases feel-good chemicals in your brain, making you happier, your sex life better, and you actually look and feel younger!
3. Keep setting goals–both big and small. By having things to work toward and look forward to in life it makes life more exciting and fulfilling. So often we go to work, tend to errands and chores, go to sleep and start all over the next day. When you’re old and gray, lying on your deathbed, do you think you’ll wish you would have worked more? I doubt it. What you’d really regret is not accomplishing things you wanted to do or that you felt were important. Right now make a list of what you want to accomplish this week, this year, in five years, and ten years. It doesn’t matter how simple or lofty your goals are, just write them down. Take steps everyday to make each goal become a reality. Once you accomplish something small it keeps you motivated to try bigger things. I wanted to become a freelance write and quit my day job. For years I put it off until one day I decided to do just one thing every day that would lead me to my goal. Once I did this, within two years, I was making a living off my writing and quit my job.
4. Keep work at work and don’t take your troubles to bed at night. Chronic worry prematurely ages you and breaks down your health. Think about all of the stress factors in your life right now. Can you do anything about them? If so, stop thinking about it and just do it. If you can’t change things, let them play themselves out or wait for the right opportunity to correct the situation. Always do the best you can do and let the rest go.
5. Keep your mind on the bright side rather than being pessimistic. I’ve read several articles that show how optimists and pessimists both have about the same lifespan. The difference is, optimists tend to live happier lives and look younger and healthier than pessimists do. It’s not always easy to see the glass as half full, but by having a better attitude you’ll have a better life and be someone others want to be around. I offer tips here on how to be happy all the time.
These are the steps I follow daily and it really has changed my life. I’m sure if you do all of the above, or even a few of them, you’ll feel younger too!