If you’re an avid lover of Indian food or bread in general, you’ll find yourself in a piece (no pun intended) of heaven with this easy recipe.
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp melted unsalted butter
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, mix together the kosher salt, milk, sugar, butter and flour.
2. Using a measuring cup, slowly mix in ¾ cup of water until the consistency is dough-like.
3. On a hard surface, knead the dough until shiny and soft. Wrap the dough in plastic and leave it on the counter for 4-5 hours.
4. Take out the dough from the plastic wrap, and divide into about 10 pieces. Roll each piece into small balls and place on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil.
5. Brush each ball with room-temperature butter and then flatten into a circle.
6. Heat a cast-iron griddle at medium-high, heating a teaspoon of olive oil. Drop each flattened dough onto the skillet and cook about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
7. Generously sprinkle sea salt on the pita bread.
You can enjoy your flaky pita however you like – for a dip, sandwich or even a base for homemade mini-pizzas.