Everyone has heard of all of the basic types of music out there — Country, Blues, Rock, Hip-Hop, Classic — but in the world within those genres, fans and musicians alike have separated the music even further by giving sub-genre titles to the bands and songs as well.
The biggest type of music that is divided into sub-genres is Rock Music. This is most likely because of the different types of percussion/drums, guitars, vocals, and lyrics that can be used to put together a song. Heavy Metal, which is often said to be a sub-genre of rock music, has a ton of mini genres within itself, too. Here is a list of all of the sub-genres, as well as a list of bands that heavily influenced that particular sound.
- Alternative Rock (Non-Mainstream Rock)- Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, and the Foo Fighters
- Grunge Rock- Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Hole, Sonic Youth
- American Trad Rock- Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock, Lenny Kravitz, Matchbox Twenty, Counting Crows, Hootie and the Blowfish, Dave Matthews Band
- Arena Rock- Journey, Foreigner, Heart, Def Leppard, Survivor, Pat Benatar
- Blues Rock- The Black Keys, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeplin, Cream, The Blues Band, Fleetwood Mac
- British Invasion Rock- Herman’s Hermits, Gerry & The Peacemakers, The Yardbirds, The Zombies, The Spencer Davis Group
- Death Metal- Cannibal Corpse, Children of Bodom, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Amon Amarth, Deicide, Suffocation, Behemoth, Dark Tranquility, Napalm Death,
- Black Metal- Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Darkthorne, Bathory, Venom, Immortal
- Glam Rock- Sweet, KISS, Slade, Motley Crue, Poison, Queen, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Guns & Roses, Quiet Riot, Skid Row
- Hair Metal- Motley Crue, Warrant, Poison, Van Halen, KISS, Rat, Guns N’ Roses, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard
- Hard Rock- ACDC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush
- Metal Rock- Slayer, Megadeath, Pantera, Motorhead, Anthrax, Slipknot, Korn
- Progressive Rock- Pink Floyd, Tool, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Rush, Dream Theather, Porcupine Tree
- Psychedelic Rock- Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Cream, The Who, Big Brother and Holding Company, The Beach Boys, The Beatles
- Rockabilly- Stray Cats, The Cramps, The Blasters, Nekromantix, Tiger Army
- Southern Rock- Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, The Marshall Tucker Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Molly Hatchet, The Greg Allmand Band
- Indie Rock- Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, The Strokes, Oasis, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Surf Rock- The Beach Boys, The Ventures, The Surfaris, The Trashmen
These sub-genres are the most popular. As new styles of bands release music, new sub-genres are created.