With the re-release of Tales of Symphonia for the PS3, a few changes have come around. Gald farming is not as easy as it once was, and the need for gald is more important than before. Before you get frustrated, here is a quick guide to gald farming when you need it the most.
In the original Tales of Symphonia, you could throw on a Blue Sephira accessory to double glad earned from battle and then fight a dragon in the Temple of Earth for 20,000 gald. In the new version, that dragon only nets 2,000 gald.
In the original game, you needed lots of gald to rebuild Luin and purchase the joke weapons there. In the new game, you do both those things, but there is also a change with the devil arms. In the old game, you just had to talk with a kid on the bridge by the Casino in Altamira to get Disaster. In the new game, you have to earn 250 tokens in the casino to get the devil arm. You can play games and lose most of your money, or purchase them. One token costs 500 gald.
How to Earn Quick Gald
The best way to earn lots of gald in the game is to steal Rune Bottles and use them on Talismans to make Blue Talismans. You can then sell them for 22,000 gald. How do you get Rune Bottles and Talismans? You steal Rune Bottles from enemies and you buy Talismans. Here’s how to do it early and quick.
1) Set your party. Make sure you have Collette and Raine in your party. Set the fourth member to “manual” so that they do nothing in battle. Remove all of Collette’s abilities except for “Item Thief” and set her strategy to only use magic/special attacks. Give her the weakest weapon you have. Remove all of Raine’s abilities except for “First Aid,” “Healing Rain,” and “Charge.” Set her strategy to only use long range magic.
2) Fight chimeras. You can do this the second time you head up the Fooji mountains, when the enemies are stronger. That’s when you’ll face Chimera.
3) Steal Rune Bottles. Kill all the extra non-chimera enemies in battle and then just sit back and block attacks that come your way. Collette will repeatedly use Item Thief to steal the rune bottle. Raine will keep everyone alive and reload Collette’s TP with Charge. Once you have a Rune Bottle, kill the enemy. Lather, rinse, repeat.
4) Buy Talismans. You can purchase Talismans in Flanoir, the snowy city. You can go there as soon as you have control of the flying ship things even though the story doesn’t have you go there, yet. Talismans cost 7,000 gald each.
5) Make Blue Talismans. Select the Rune Bottle in your item inventory and then choose a Talisman in your inventory. The Talisman will become a Blue Talisman. Repeat for every Rune Bottle and Talisman you have.
6) Sell the Blue Talismans. You earn 22,000 gald for each Blue Talisman. Even with the cost of Talismans, you make a good profit.
Hints and Tips
1) If you wait to collect Rune Bottles until later in the game, you won’t need to have Raine heal characters during battle. The monsters will barely make a dent in your armor. You can still use her to provide TP charge so you don’t waste items.
2) Make sure Collette uses the weakest weapon you have for her because otherwise she’ll kill the enemy before stealing the item.
3) Throw on a Blue Sephira to double gald earned while you battle those Chimera for some extra monies. You can get a Sephira inside a hidden chest near Ozette. There is an area of trees with a ring of trees around it. The chest is along the outside circle of trees. Use a Rune Bottle on the Sephira to get a Blue Sephira.
4) You can also steal Rune Bottles from Undertakers in the Goracchia Forest.