By now you’ve all seen Google’s latest rollout invention, Google Glass. Google Glass is a pair of glasses or sunglasses with a built-in screen that allows you to access information, apps, and emails right in front of your eyes. When I found out about this invention, I was truly interested in where this technology was headed. Over the last two years, Google has been developing software, testing their product, and remodeling the look of Google Glass. While there seems to be a great number of reasons to want to wear these glasses, there is also a few reasons why this product isn’t actually as amazing as many people think. Here are the pros and cons of Google Glass.
1. Hands Free– The most popular advantage of Google Glass is the ability to operate the device without using hands. Many apps developed for this system can be operated solely on voice commands or motion detection. This leaves you free to do other things at the same time as using these glasses.
2. Convenience– Most of the apps developed for Google Glass are focused on convenience to the average consumer. Some of the features that offer these conveniences are taking pictures or video with the touch of a button, head or eye movement, or voice command without an actual camera and then being able to transfer your pictures wirelessly to a phone or computer.
3. Multitasking Capability– No longer will retrieving information be a solitary experience. With the glass being small yet see through, it allows the users to do other things at the same time that they wouldn’t normally be able to do. For example, someone driving can now look at the road and read the directions for where they are going at the same time.
4. Open Software Platform- One of the greatest things about Google Glass is that anyone looking to build apps or software for their platform is able to. This opens the doors to a ton of different innovative and unique apps and ideas. This variety is preferred over the often limited developing capabilities of other hardware.
1. Privacy- One of the major concerns with Google Glass is the issue of privacy. If everyone around you has a pair of smart glasses on you never know exactly who is recording video or taking pictures. This opens the door for stolen debit pin numbers, credit card information, and email passwords anytime you are in public.
2. Distraction- Depending on the apps installed or the notification settings turned on, the user could be continuously distracted from the work at hand. If you have an extremely important job you wouldn’t want a constant string of flashes and beeps keeping you from your work.
3. Style– Many people consider the look of Google Glass, especially in the development stages, ugly and unattractive, myself included. Are you willing to go out in public looking like you’re part cyborg just so you can get Facebook notifications immediately after they’re updated?
4. Clumsy– While the premise is cool to be able to surf the net, check email, or play games with glasses, it actually is less than perfect technology. When trying these functions it often is a clumsy experience making it less convenient to use than your phone or laptop computer, especially in public.
5. Price– The price of Google Glass is a huge factor in computing how successful it will actually be. The price for test models bought by developers was a hefty $1,500.00 while the store model will still cost you a large $500.00 or more. For many people, like myself, this money would be better spent on a new laptop or tablet rather than a relatively new and undeveloped device.
For these reasons I have decided to wait before I decide to make the plunge into owning a pair of Google Glasses. Right now the cons outweigh the pros and I’ll wait to see how this product evolves in the future. If technology is your thing and money is no object then Google Glass may be for you.
Google Glass- Google.com
For more interesting technology reading and information from this author, check out:
Wireless Ways to Upgrade Your Life
How to Get High Without Drugs (Legally & Safely)
Guide to New and Hilarious PC Gaming