Fleas and ticks are the biggest botherations for your pet. The pesky insects cause skin itching and diseases to your four legged pal. They are a prime cause of diseases in cats and dogs. Starting from little lethargy to fatal Rocky Mountain fever, these pests can cause immense harm to your pet. Summer is the season of fleas and a time of alertness for the pet parents. The hot environment is the breeding ground of heavy flea infestations.
Fleas and ticks can be controlled by various methods – chemical treatments, natural remedies and yard treatments. Today, we will look at all these methods in detail.
Chemical treatments: Several animal pharmaceutical companies sell flea and tick treatments. It is always advisable to go for top brands, as there is a guarantee of effective product. Let’s check out some popular flea and tick solutions:
- Spot-on treatments: Topical treatments like Frontline Plus, Activyl, Advantage II, K9 Advantix and more are the most availed external treatments used to kill, control and prevent fleas and ticks found on the pet’s body. Mostly these are a once-a-month treatment and thus relieve the pet parent from botheration of near future occurrence of the pests. The only thing to keep in mind is follow the label instructions properly and avoid overdose of these products.
- Oral tablets for prevention: Another once a month treatment, the oral preventives prove to be a clutter free treatment. The tablets or suspensions can be given to the pet on a monthly scheduled date to prevent flea eggs from hatching. This helps in controlling the flea population by inhibiting their growth. Very effective the oral treatments save one from the mess created in topical treatments.
- Flea and tick collars: Medicated collars are a long-term effective solution. They can destroy existing fleas as well as prevent future growth by continuously releasing chemicals for killing fleas and their life cycle. Effective for three to six months, the collars are an easy treatment for all dogs and cats and again do not create any clutter associated with spot-on treatments.
- Shampoos and sprays: Flea shampoos can wash off adult fleas while sprays can deter the growth of these insects. The only thing is they do not remain effective for long time and retreatment is required within a small period.
Natural remedies: Some of the animal lovers prefer to use natural products for flea and tick removal. They do not want their pet to go through any allergic reactions and thus choose the organic method of pest treatment.
- Vinegar bath: Amongst the very many methods, the most effective one is vinegar bath. Treat water with distilled vinegar and then make your pet take a dip in this water. Vinegar will remove fleas and ticks and add shine to the pet’s coat. This method can be applied at the sight of fleas and can be repeated number of times.
- Vinegar drinks: Induce vinegar drops in pet’s drinking water. This method repels the insects and prevents future infestations. It gives flea protection from within and saves the pet from annoying insects.
- Aloe for bite treatment: Fleabites are very painful for the pets. It causes itching, excessive scratching and allergy in severe cases. The best natural method of treating bitten skin is dabbing aloe over it.
Apart from treating the pet, one must also treat pet’s surrounding area including carpets, yard and garden. These play perfect hosts to fleas and ticks that hop on the pet as soon as they enter these places.
Few of the methods of clearing pet’s surrounding environment are:
Spray nozzle: It is a fact that fleas and ticks infest not only the pet but also the surroundings. They remain dormant for a considerable time until they find a host. During these ‘silent times’ these pests remain on carpets and gardens. To treat these places, use of spray nozzle is an easiest option. Spraying insecticide will destroy fleas, ticks and fire ants.
Sprinkle powders: Many animal pharmaceutical companies sprinkle disinfecting powder in the yard and on the carpets to destroy pests found on these spaces. It is very easy to administer, this DIY task will help you get rid of fleas and ticks found in the surroundings.
Exterminators: Regular visits by exterminators are ideal solutions if one lives in a heavily infested area. These professionals apply a solution in the home and drive away these pests from the home. This inexpensive treatment does not harm the pets and pet owners in any possible manner.
By practicing any of these methods and taking few pest preventive measures, any pet parent can eradicate fleas and provide a healthy life and environment to the pet.