Let them eat cupcakes, and let them think you went to a fancy bakery while they’re at it. Use no-fail cupcake tricks to make you look like a baking pro, even if you didn’t spend that much time slaving away in the kitchen at all. Some of the easiest tricks end up looking the most complex.
Get tricky with your cupcakes to create something that looks fancy, but without a lot of time-consuming work. Cupcakes are very trendy, and a perfect addition to any gathering. Now make yours stand out, and look like a pro among friends and family.
- Better batter: Always start your batter with melted butter. Mix this with the eggs and sugar first. Once this foundation is nice and smooth, mix in the rest of the ingredients. You want your batter to be smooth and airy. You’ll see air bubbles in it that let you know it’s ready to pour.
- Consistent pour: When it’s time to pour those cupcakes, be cautious. You want the same amount of batter in each cupcake liner, and you don’t want to pour more than two-thirds full. Any more batter than this, and cupcakes will bake up too large. This makes them difficult to decorate and eat. To get a consistent pour, use a measuring cup. A one-third cup is usually the perfect size for standard cupcakes.
- Marbled effect: Impress your friends by making a marbled cupcake batter. It’s much easier to create this effect than it looks as a finished product. Mix up white or yellow batter completely. Drizzle melted chocolate into the batter in a spiral design. Stir it in with a spoon, but make just one resolution around the bowl. Pour your batter as it is, with visible lines of chocolate running through it, to get that marbled effect.
- Stuffed cupcakes: Another way to make cupcakes fancy is to stuff them. Pour cupcakes only halfway full. Unwrap your favorite chocolate candies and place them down in the middle of each cupcake. You want the candies to be fully covered with batter before putting them in the oven.
- Chill out: Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them. Cupcakes will cool much more quickly if you remove them from the pan and place them on racks. Don’t try to take a shortcut by placing cupcakes in the fridge. This will make them taste harder, and possibly even stale.
- Add texture: You don’t need perfect frosting to get amazing-looking cupcakes. Once frosting is in place, add texture to add new taste and cover up any icing flats. Pieces of nut or coconut flakes add great texture to cupcakes and cover up a multitude of flaw.
- Chocolate shavings: Cupcakes look extra-fancy with chocolate shavings, and they aren’t difficult to add. Hold a bar or block of chocolate in one hand and gently slice across the end to create little shavings. Always move the knife away from you, and work with care to avoid injury. If you have any kind of grater, making the shavings is much easier.
- Glitter and gold: Finish off cupcakes with gold leaf or edible glitter to make them look fancy for just a few seconds of work.
- Candy land: Cover frosted cupcakes with your favorite little candies to finish them off beautifully and make them look even more colorful.
Perfect frosting isn’t a necessity if you’ve got creativity. Use candy, sprinkles and other tricks to hide those icing errors and finish cupcakes off perfectly. You’ll look like a pro by using simple cupcake tricks, and no one has to know how easy it was.