The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) sanctions stock car races on over 100 tracks. NASCAR is the second most watched sport in terms of television ratings in America. NASCAR racing gets the heart pumping with split second photo finishes. Another big attraction in NASCAR racing is stock car crashes. There are many of them.
The tracks in the huge speedway stadiums can either make or break a NASCAR driver’s career. The tracks are what make the speedways. Here are the top 5 NASCAR speedways and their race tracks:
Top Five NASCAR Race Tracks
5. Richmond International Raceway – Richmond International Raceway’s track is three quarters of a mile long and is D-shaped. Richmond International Raceway holds the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and the NASCAR Nationwide Series which are great NASCAR races to watch. The best part about the track races are the side by side racing under the night lights. (rir.com)
4. Darlington Raceway – The Darlington Raceway holds the Southern 500 and the Darlington 200 NASCAR circuit races. Darlington Raceway, dubbed “The Lady in Black”, is one of the original speedways of NASCAR. The egg-shaped track at the Darlington Raceway is known as the track that is too tough to tame. (darlingtoncounty.org)
3. Talladega Super Speedway – The Talladega Super Speedway track is 2.66 miles in length. The track at the Talladega Superspeedway usually produces the fastest race speeds of all the tracks of the NASCAR circuit. Bill Elliott clocked the fastest lap at 212mph. The drivers always need to be on their toes on every lap while driving on this track. The Talladega Super Speedway holds the Aaron’s 499 and the Energy 500 which are one of the top races of the NASCAR circuit. (encyclopediaofalabama.org)
2. Bristol Motor Speedway – Bristol Motor Speedway dubbed “Thunder Valley” for being the fastest half mile track. The Bristol Motor Speedway holds the Food City 500, Irwin Tools Night Race, Bristol 300, Food City 250, and the UNOH 200. The Food City 500 is the best race of the season held at Bristol Motor Speedway because it is one of the best NASCAR Cup races. (cbssports.com)
1. Daytona International Speedway – The biggest race of the season – the Daytona 500 – is run at the Daytona International Speedway. The Daytona 500 is considered the “Super Bowl” of the NASCAR season. Even though it is the first race of the Cup season, “The Great American Race” gets the most attention. The huge 480-acre motor sports complex is the “World Center of Racing”. The Daytona International Speedway hosts eight major races each season. (daytonainternationalspeedway.com)