Neurodegenerative diseases, (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-ALS), increase with age. They will become more common as the population is living longer. I am no stranger to some of these diseases. I have one relative who is suffering from Alzheimer’s and have a neighbor who is suffering from Parkinson’s. My risk for contacting these horrible diseases is going up as I am getting older. There is currently no treatment for Alzheimer’s and no cure for neurodegenerative diseases in general. Any treatment that shows promise needs to be studied. Resveratrol has been in the spotlight as a substance for treating and preventing the onset of neurodegenerative diseases. This is what is being discovered:
Resveratrol and Prevention and Treatment of Neurodegenerative diseases
- Resveratrol and Alzheimer’s: The most common of these diseases, resveratrol protects the neurons from damage (neuroprotective). The reason is still being studied but has to do with the antioxidant properties of resveratrol. Resveratrol helps to delay the progression of Alzheimer’s.
- Resveratrol and Parkinson’s: Resveratrol can help slow the progression of Parkinson’s. It helps restore dopamine levels and improve motor function as discovered in animal studies. Researchers believe that this is due to the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of resveratrol.
- Resveratrol and Huntington’s: This genetic disease causes damage to the mitochondria of cells. Resveratrol helps remove free radicals that can damage mitochondria which helps control the functions of neurons. In animal studies resveratrol shows improvements in motor and cognitive impairment.
- Resveratrol and multiple sclerosis: Resveratrol has been shown to get rid of damaged cells, in the spinal cord of MS sufferers, and optic nerves which causes blindness in MS patients.
- Resveratrol and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): Resvertrol can help this motor neuron disease protect the motor neurons from dying similar to Huntington’s.
Resveratrol activates the SIRT1 protein which helps with many cell functions being damaged by these diseases. SIRT1 also helps with many other degenerative diseases and is activated by calorie restricted diets which can extend lifespan.
To date there are no cures for any of these degenerative diseases and not enough effective treatments. In my opinion resveratrol shows great promise for slowing the progression and treating the symptoms of these diseases. More studies are needed but funding is limited.
For further reading about resveratrol I have published these articles:
My Resveratrol Experience: Miracle Supplement or Just Hype?
My Resveratrol Experience: Miracle Supplement for Fighting Cancer?
My Resveratrol Spring Weight Loss Story
My Resveratrol Experience: Miracle Supplement for Fighting Stroke and Heart Attack?