When I was expecting my first child, my plan was to go back to work soon after she was born. The day came and I just could not leave my child. Another little girl and nine years later I reentered the work force. My experience with being a stay home mother was the best decision for my family and myself. There are many things to contemplate when making the decision to stay home with your child.
Financial contribution by mom
- · It is going to be tough to eliminate an income. Budgeting skills are necessary.
- · Learning to sew, reuse and stretch most everything to last is essential.
- · Become a DIY, recycle and reuse queen, it will serve you well.
Quality time is all the time
- · Mom is there to pamper the children when they are sick.
- · Being there to teach my child when the moment presents itself.
- · More time to spend with the children. They grow up so fast.
Losing Mom’s identity
- · Find outlets and fun things to do without the children.
- · What things beside work do you enjoy in life? Now is the time to dabble and include your children.
- · You will not lose yourself. You will discover there is more of yourself to get to know.
- · Your children will have you and remember the sacrifice you made,
Life is worth living
- · Live the moments with your children! Do not waste this opportunity sitting in front of a television.
- · Staying at home with your children is a wonderful opportunity that many do not get a chance to experience. Enjoy life with your children instead of letting someone raise your children for you and cheat you out of the experience with you children.
- · Record as much of your ‘stay at home’ opportunity as possible: Take pictures, videos and create memories.
Going back to work
- · Work and a career will still be there.
- · A huge lapse in employment on your resume is something that is problematic. Fill your time with volunteer activities or free-lance work. Many times, you can do volunteering with your children in tow. Put the volunteering on your resume and employers will see that you will work hard for charity, so they know you have a great work ethic.
- · There will probably be a time when you want to go back to work outside of the home. It is all right to let go, as your children get older.
The decision to stay home with my children was a good decision for my family and me. You can stay home with your children if you really decide it is what is right for you. Enjoy your children and be the best role model for them.