It’s the party of the year – it’s prom! That’s one night when you can’t reach for that everyday school makeup. No tan eyeshadows, ladies. You’ve got to go bit more glamorous, even bolder in your makeup selection.
For makeup artists like me who love painting colors on those eyelids, cheeks and lips, it’s show time! The first thing I ask clients preparing for prom is, “What color are your dress and shoes?” That one clue can help you determine what colors will complete the look. This year, the very trendy, strapless party dress in midnight black is THE style. If you’ve got a hot, black number to wear, try these makeup looks from one of my favorite beauty icons. You’ll rock that black prom dress.
The Nicole Richie Look
She’s been off the radar for a while but she’s still a style icon that I love to copy. Nicole’s signature look, the cat eye with silver shadow and nude lips works perfectly with a swanky updo. Try these steps for perfect black prom dress makeup.
- Start with face primer. You don’t want your makeup to run if you tear up during your prom queen acceptance speech.
- Cover your entire eyelid with skin-toned eyeshadow. This creates a noticeable contrast for the black and silver eyeshadow.
- Dot the crease of the eye with smoky black eyeshadow. Use a light touch and an angled eyeshadow brush.
- Apply shimmery, silver eyeshadow to the lower lid.
- Blend the colors together with a soft eyeshadow brush.
- Line the top of the lashes with a liquid eyeliner marker. Extend the line outside your eyelids slightly for a pretty cat eye.
- Curl your lashes then apply several coats of mascara.
- Blush your cheeks with a soft pink or bronze cheek color.
- Apply nude lipstick and top with clear gloss. Done!
You’ll look like a celebrity as you dance the night away in your little black dress!