My Southern granny was born on March 17, so for me Saint Patrick’s is a celebration of a birthday and the Irish! And no Southern meal is complete without sweet rolls or biscuits.
These green colored sweet rolls are topped with edible gold flakes and crushed pecans, so they are visually pleasing and tasty. The rolls go great with any entrée and also make a great midnight snack.
½ cup of milk
½ cup of sugar
1 ½ tsp. salt
¼ cup of melted butter
½ cup of warm water (110-125 degrees)
2 packs of dry yeast
2 medium eggs, beaten
4 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
3-4 drops of green food coloring (depending on the desired color)
½ cup of melted butter
½ cup of crushed pecans
Edible gold flakes
Roll Mixture Preparation
1. Scald milk (bring to boil and remove immediately).
2. Add salt, butter, and sugar to milk mixture. Set aside to cool (lukewarm).
3. Mix warm water and yeast in a large bowl.
4. Stir milk mixture into warm water and yeast combination.
5. Add eggs and half of the flour (1 and ¼ cup).
6. Add the food coloring (go as dark or light as you wish).
7. Hand beat until smooth (about 3 minutes).
8. Slowly add the rest of the flour. Your dough should be slightly stiff when finished.
9. Place dough on floured surface. Knead for ten minutes.
10. Place the mixture in a large buttered container. Roll the dough several times to butter coat it.
11. Cover the mixture with several clean dishtowels. Place in in a warm location.
12. Punch dough down about every 10 minutes. You want it to sit for an hour (double the size).
Roll Baking Preparation
1. Roll the dough into pea sized balls.
2. Place three of the pea-sized balls into each buttered muffin tin space.
3. Preheat oven to 375 ˚.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until browned nicely).
1. Brush rolls with butter.
2. Sprinkle with edible gold flakes (as much or as little as you wish).
3. Add crushed pecans.
The rolls are best when you allow them to sit for about 10 minutes before eating them. Be warned, the kids never seem to be able to wait the 10 minutes. Make sure you plan ahead since the roll preparation is lengthy. You can add different toppings if you wish. Some ideas might be green sprinkles, silver flakes, cinnamon, or walnuts.