Whether you work from home or you work permanently from office, being a woman and a mother is certainly not easy. We have plenty of responsibility when it comes to value our family, culture and ethos. International Women’s Day is all about celebrating feminism and to appreciate their efforts which they are putting each day without complaining about it.
On 8th March, we celebrate this day and personally I think, at least on this day we should get a day off from work as well from home. No household stuffs, cooking, laundries and other little-little things i.e. a complete day off just to pamper yourself, being with your family and loved ones and doing nothing but just to celebrate that quality time and togetherness. However, we all know that’s actually not possible. Here, we can manage to go out to have fine dinner with your family but what about the breakfast and lunch?
The solution is order some food from outside or make some simple recipes like soup recipes, stew recipes or even slow cooker recipes which can be made easily without having the expert monitoring on cooking or no need to be a professional cook i.e. some easy cooking methods which can be used by husbands and kids if they want to impress their lady or mother, who works hard daily without even asking for help! So, don’t you think it’s time to impress that special lady on this special day?
In this post, I am sharing some simple and easy soup recipes that even a kid can make. Everyone in family loves soup and if we look at the current weather situations, soup recipes are still very comforting and soothing for our tummies. Soup is cheap, easy to make and nutritious which is packed full of vegetables and other goodness. Obviously, soup needs chopping and cutting which involves knives and taking care; what you can do here is, simply chop the vegetables in bigger pieces and boil and later use a blender to make a nice puree and you can always seek for a help if you get stuck somewhere or find anything difficult.
One of the favorite soup recipe of my family is Potato and Leek Soup, in France it is known as Vichyssoise. This soup is little chunky in taste which brings out the flavor even more. In fact you can serve this as hot and cold soup. I must confess that on a summer’s day, it taste delicious when served cold.
This Recipe serves up to 4-5 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium leeks (400g), finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter or oil
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock (I use half a Knorr chicken Stockpot)
- 300ml milk
- 1-2tbsp very finely chopped chives or any mix of herbs
- Peel potatoes and chop them into small pieces. Cut, wash and slice the leeks. Now take butter or oil into the pan at medium heat, once heated put both i.e. potato and leek into the pan.
- Now cover the pan with a lid at low heat, and let it cook for 10 minutes until vegetables get tender and soft.
- Now add stock, milk and herbs or chives and simmer the soup without a lid for about another 15 minutes. Make sure you can mash the potatoes easily to check potatoes are completely cooked.
- At last, soup ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite crusty bread.
I hope you will like this simple vegetable soup recipe for this special day. Other than this, crockpot or slow cooker recipes are always rescuers on any given busy day. Just put the ingredients in the crockpot, set the temperature settings and let it cook by its own. Make this day special for that special lady in your life, she deserves it. Happy Women’s Day!