The Sutter family is without question one of the most famous families in the National Hockey League. A lot of people may know Lukas Sutter by his famous father Rich Sutter, but Lukas Sutter is making a name for himself in the hockey world all on his own. In 2012, Lukas was drafted by the Winnipeg Jet’s and is currently playing in the Western Hockey League for the Saskatoon Blades.
1. How did you get your start playing hockey? Did you have any interest in other sports?
I started playing because my parents signed me up, grew up around it and it was all I ever knew. I played a little lacrosse and golf growing up but stick to golf in the off season now.
2. Coming from a hockey background and being a part of the legendary Sutter family, do you ever feel any pressure to live up to the “Sutter standard”?
I don’t think its pressure, I think it is something that I am very proud and I see it as a challenge to live up to that standard every day.
3. In 2012 you were drafted by the NHL Winnigpeg Jets, what aspects of your game have you been working on to reach that level of hockey?
I think the biggest thing for me is just learning to prepare like a professional, the taking care of your body, making sure you get the workouts in during the season, the proper nutrition and rest when you can get it.
4. If you were not playing hockey for a living, what would you be doing?
I like to think I could probably be a pretty good lawyer, I’m fairly argumentative and I think I can be quite persuasive.
5. Every athlete has a way of preparing for a game, what is your method before the game and how do you stay mentally focused during a game?
I try and get into a routine, doing the same warm up before games and preparing the same way for every game. I really try to focus on breaking games down into little segments, shift by shift, period by period.
6. You are currently playing in the WHL for the Saskatoon Blades, what is the story behind your hockey number #23?
I wear 23 because that is the number my dad wore when he played and it was what I saw growing up so it just kinda stuck.
7. Do you have a crazy pregame ritual or meal?
No rituals or meals, I change my meals up all the time but usually chicken or fish and rice and a big salad. I do the same off ice warm up and a few guys go through the same routines in the on ice warm up to get going.
8. What has been your best fan experience?
I think growing up and watching the world juniors every year was something I that I will always remember as a fan, it was even more special having an uncle coaching and a cousin playing in them a couple of years.
9. Up until this point, what is your proudest achievement on or off the ice?
Definitely being drafted by Winnipeg last spring, it was so special to share it with my Mom and Dad and sisters.
10. Who has influenced you the most in your life?
Again, mom and dad, they have been there to drive me to the 7 am practices, to support me on the bad days and have paid for it all along the way.
11. What player would you go with Gretzky or Orr?
12. In three words, how would your teammates describe you?
Honest, hard-working and competitive.
13. How do you stay in shape to play on the ice? What is your favorite type of workout?
I do a lot of weight and cardio training. I really enjoy getting in the ring and boxing.
14. If we raided your fridge right now, what would we find?
A lot of chicken and fish because I eat so much of it, some good old Alberta beef and definitely milk.
15. If we looked at your IPOD right now, what would be the top 3 songs on the playlist?
Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars
Stubborn Love by the Lumineers
King and Lionheart by Of Monsters and Men
16. What is your favorite Twitter account to follow, sports or non-sports related?
I really like Earth Pics, either that or the Chive
17. Is there a motto or saying you live by?
Believe in your mind, what you conceive in your heart. It was something my parents always told me growing up and I really think its true, if you can dream it, if you love it, you can accomplish it if you set your mind to it.
18. Here we always like to ask for our readers, are you single, dating, or locked down?
I am locked down.
19. What’s your idea of a perfect date?
I like simplicity, a nice dinner and a movie.