This is my recipe for a homemade orange glazed doughnut. I love making this recipe for my nephew and nieces. We have a great time mixing all the ingredients together and having nice family bonding time. I always let the kids mix together the orange glaze sauce and drizzle it on top of the doughnuts. I hope you and your family will enjoy making these doughnuts as well. Happy eating.
2 packages of active dry yeast
1/2 cup of warm water
1/2 cup of scalded milk
1/3 cup of shortening
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
3 tablespoons of orange juice
2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Place your 2 packages of your active dry yeast into your 1/2 cup of warm water.
- In a separate bowl, combine your 1/2 cup of scalded milk, 1/3 cup of shortening, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Let this mixture cool until it is lukewarm.
- Once your mixture is lukewarm, add in 1 cup of your flour and beat with an electric mixture for 3 minutes or until combined well.
- Beat in your yeast mixture and 2 eggs. Beat this for 3 minutes.
- Add your remaining flour and beat well until a soft dough starts to form.
- Grease a medium sized bowl and place your dough into the bowl.
- Cover and chill your dough for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Place enough flour on your workspace and place your dough onto it.
- Roll your dough to a 1/3 inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured doughnut cutter and let sit and rise for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel, 3 tablespoons of orange juice and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and set aside.
- Preheat your deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Deep fry your doughnuts for 2 minutes or until they are browned.
- While they are still warm, dip your doughnuts into sugar and drizzle with an orange glaze sauce that your set aside.
- Serve and enjoy.