I have always been able to get as much done as I needed to in one day until I began working at home. This is when I lost focus, mostly because it is summer time, my kids are home from school, and there is so much going on to distract me right now. So I decided to figure out how I could get more done in a day. I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.
1. Getting enough sleep is so important, but so is not getting too much sleep. I went from barely sleeping when I was working night shift to sleeping as late as I wanted when I started working from home. One extreme to the other and neither of them did me any good. Now I make sure 8 hours a night and that is all. No more, no less.
2. Create a daily to do list. This one is what really gets me working hard. Each night as I watch a movie or hang out with my kids, I create a list of what I need to accomplish the next day. My kids have become very used to me sitting with my pen and notebook while we hang out because I know something will pop into my head that I need to get done. The next day I start out with a plan, I know exactly what I need to do.
3. Stay focused on the task at hand. I know all too well how easy it can be to get distracted. I work on my computer every day. You have to shut down Facebook, close your email, and all the tabs that do not pertain to what you are working on. Do not answer the phone unless it is an emergency. Focus on the task at hand and you will have more free time later to do things like check your Facebook or talk on the phone.
4. Figure out what is eating up your time then break yourself of it. I have to admit I was a Facebook game junky. I played those stupid little games all the time. Until I realized how much of my time was being eaten up by them. Now I leave my Facebook shut down and do my work. I can focus on the task at hand and not on some silly game. You have to find what you are wasting time on and get rid of it.
5. Do what is the most important first. Don’t do like most people and fill your time will small tasks so you feel like you have accomplished something, if you have an assignment due, it is not time to do the dishes. Focus on the big stuff and use the small stuff to fill in the gaps.
If you follow these five suggestions you will find that you are getting more done each and every day. Focus is important when it comes to trying to fit everything you want to get done into a single day but I promise, it is possible and you don’t have to go to bed at night feeling like you got nothing done.