Getting sleep for some people can be challenging and for some, they toss and turn too much to even get a comfortable night’s rest. Here are 6 tips on how to get a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Wine: If you are of legal drinking age, having a glass of wine before bed can help relax you, your body, and even your mind so that you can get a decent nights rest. Just one glass of wine can relieve muscle tension and calm the mind – two important factors in relaxation.
- Circadian Rhythm: Circadian rhythm is the body’s natural clock that governs your sleeping patterns. A healthy person will usually become tired between 9pm and 11pm and then sleep for up to 8 hours. Pay attention to your rhythm. Staying up later than 11pm or sleeping for longer than 8 hours can be detrimental to your body’s long term health.
- Drinks: Try not to drink too much right before you go to bed. Avoid large amounts of fluids for a few hours before bed, especially if you are prone to getting up in the middle of the night to use the rest room.
- White Noise Or Nature Sounds: Believe it or not, this just doesn’t work on babies. A white noise machine helps to block background noise from your sleeping environment, such as dogs barking, traffic, and sirens. Also, there is a belief that white noise can be effective in relaxing people because it is similar to the sound that you hear while in the womb. Nature sounds give you that peaceful feel of calmness. Some people like to fall asleep to the sound of rain or the ocean, maybe even to a little thunderstorm sound. Whatever sounds work for you, you should give it a try. There are plenty of apps you can download right onto your phone if you don’t want to go out and buy a machine.
- Exercise: Exercise helps to relax your muscles, use energy stores (calories), and wear your body out. However, because it increases the heart rate, it is wise to exercise no less than four hours before bedtime in order to give yourself time to come back down.
- Tea: Oh yes, my all time favorite! There are plenty of teas out on the market that help you sleep better. Sleepy time tea is the most popular of them all and they taste great! Have this an hour (or 30 minutes) before you go to bed to help relax your body and lure you into the sweet land of lullaby’s.
If you are having trouble sleeping even after you try the above tips, seek medical help. Another great way to relax before bedtime is to read a nice, pleasing book. Avoid violent tv shows and horror movies, those will only mess with your head and cause you to have an unpleasant restless night.