How did I know I wanted to marry my husband? How did I know he was the one for me, and I was ready to commit?
Here are ten signs that told me I’d found the one for me.
1. My life was better after having spent only one date with him. I knew that even if I never saw him again, my life had been positively affected by him already.
2. He calmed me. I didn’t have that frantic feeling I’d felt with so many others. There weren’t a million questions spinning in my head. He made me feel centered and grounded in a different way from anyone else.
3. I felt confident and beautiful when I was with him no matter what I looked like. I knew how he felt about me, and he made me feel adored just by the way he spoke to me. No one ever made me feel that beautiful before or that comfortable in my own skin. He saw me — all of me — and he accepted me as is.
4. We clicked. No forced connection necessary. I didn’t have to talk myself into being with him or bat away doubts or concerns.
5. I allowed myself to be vulnerable with him, and he never exploited me for it.
6. I didn’t need time away from him. I’m not saying we didn’t take breaks from seeing each other to be with friends. I’m saying I didn’t feel the overwhelming sense to get away from him to re-charge. Being around him felt like being home, as corny as it sounds.
7. He believed in me before I believed in myself. He gave me confidence and made me better instead of holding me back.
8. He respected others including parents and friends and even waitstaff (this is more telling than you might think) and of course, me.
9. He saw everything in light of us — as a unit. We didn’t have to discuss the shift. It came naturally for him and for me. We were no longer out for ourselves alone. We were a team.
10. We shared common ground, but our differences didn’t scare us away. He wasn’t threatened by my opinions. He listened, and our discussions were healthy even when our thoughts didn’t quite match up.
And those are ten of the most important signs that led me straight down the aisle. What leads you to love might look different, but make sure the one you’re walking toward is worth it.
More About Relationships From Lori:
Date Night: Necessary or Nonsense
5 Ways to Make the One You Love Smile Today
How We Fight Fair: The Only Three Rules We Need