To have or not to have Cydia on an Apple device is the question asked by many. I have never gone deep into that, but if you are looking for reasons to jailbreak your Apple device, here are some strong ones that will surely convince you to get Cydia.
Let’s first understand what Cydia and jailbreaking are. Jailbreaking is process that helps you bypass certain restrictions on iPads and iPhones to install the third party applications, themes and tweaks. Cydia is an App Store that features thousands of unofficial apps, tweaks, themes, etc. for your jailbroken iOS device. You can’t get Cydia without jailbreaking your device, so in order to be able to install 3rd party apps, jailbreak and Cydia both are essential.
Jay Freeman founded Cydia on February 2008 as an alternative to installer.app and now it is most desired software for any Apple user. “Jailbreak is Legal or not” has been the most shouted question in past few years, and as per US Government, it’s legal to jailbreak your iDevice. However, Apple voids the warranty of a device if it is jailbroken. Since jailbreaking and getting Cydia on your Smartphone lets users have a great deal of premium apps, most of the Apple device users go for it.
In order to download Cydia, you need to follow the steps given below:
- First step is to download a jailbreak program using softwares like Rednosw, Evasion, etc.
- Most of jailbreking softwares install Cydia during the jailbreak process, but you should make sure that you have enabled Cydia installation option at the time of Jailbreaking. You need to wait for some time to complete the Jailbreak process. The whole jailbreak process for installing Cydia is almost the same with most software. During the process, your device might reboot several times.
- Make sure that you have active internet connection to configure Cydia.
- After jailbreak is complete, tap on Cydia icon which is usually available on your home screen. You will see that Cydia will initialize default repository and it may take some time. Don’t do anything during that time period. After initialization process is completed, Cydia will automatically close.
- Now, again you need to tap on Cydia icon and it will ask you to fill some information. You will see message under Login screen saying “You must authenticate yourself in order to use this Cydia feature”.
- Simply register as a user and then tap on “Done” button. You may also see other options, such as ‘Developer’ and ‘Hacker’ that you don’t really want.
- Now Cydia will begin checking updates and you will able to see the process at the top saying “Downloading packages”. Wait for the process to update database index.
- Last step is to upgrade the package when you have been prompted. Once you see pop up message, select “Confirm the Complete Upgrade” option. Users often report an error using Cydia for the first time. To avoid any such issue, ensure completing the upgrade process.
After successful upgrade, simply restart the Cydia. Now it’s time to search for premium and exclusive apps that you can’t find from the Apple’s App store. Tap on Cydia icon and under “Manage Sources”, you will see many default repositories, such as Modmyi, BigBoss, iSpazio, ZodTTD and Telesphoreo. Each of these repositories contains hundreds of applications that you can install on your iPhone or iPad.
There are many productive and useful apps that come with Cydia only, for instance MyWi. You can also choose from varieties of themes by using app called “WinterBoard”, which completely changes look and feel of your iPhone, iPod or iPad. You can change icons, backgrounds, wallpapers, status bar, dock, dialer keypad, font color, size and signal bars. For all these new features that you get on your device, Cydia is worth trying.