If there was just one food that should be added to your diet to help you lose weight and obtain better health, it’s coconut oil. Everyone should have a jar in their house at all times as it offers a multitude of uses, but one of the very best is to aid in getting rid of stubborn body fat. Some health experts believe that about 80 percent of the body’s ability to lose excess fat is determined by what you eat. The other 20 percent accounts for physical activity and other lifestyle factors.
Like many people, for years I was under the impression that all fats were bad. But research has found that this simply isn’t true. All you need to do is take a look at the shocking statistics related to the increasing epidemic of obesity in this country to see that the numbers began skyrocketing about the same time fat-free diets became popular. For the longest time, I couldn’t understand why my cholesterol was so high when I ate virtually no “fat.” Well, apparently that was the problem. After including coconut oil and other foods with health fats in my diet, as was able to achieve an optimal cholesterol level in addition to a healthy weight.
Not all saturated fats are bad either. The type of saturated fat in coconut oil is known as lauric acid, which is known to raise good, or HDL, cholesterol and help improve cholesterol ratio levels. It can also help restore normal thyroid function, also contributing to healthier cholesterol.
Burning stubborn flab
Foods like coconut oil that are rich in monounsaturated fats can also help you burn stubborn flab. The oil contains medium chain triglycerides, or MCTs, that are broken down in the liver, leading to more efficient burning of energy. A 2009 study out of Brazil found that eating just two tablespoons of the tropical oil can help to shrink abdominal fat faster than spending multiple hours on a treadmill.
Reduces in-between meal hunger pangs
Eating foods that contain healthy fats have been found to keep you feeling full and satisfied longer as compared to other foods. It can help curb those in-between meal hunger pangs and cravings for unhealthier foods, allowing you to naturally lose weight by consuming fewer calories.
Used as a replacement for other cooking oils
Coconut oil can benefit your health and weight-loss effort by utilizing it as a replacement for other cooking oils, or even butter. The oil is able to tolerate high temperatures without being damaged and it can also add a tasty tropical flavor to a vegetable stir-fry or fish. It can also be an ideal substitute for butter, or to replace processed creamers in your coffee.