Leading cause of fire related deaths https://www.ehow.com
House fires are the leading cause of fire related deaths in the United States according to the National Fire Protection Association. https://www.nfpa.org. In 2007 the United States fire departments responded to 399,000 house fires and nearly 2,900 people died in these house fires. That is an average of eight (8) people a day dying in house fires.
Leading cause of house fires
Cooking is the leading cause “40 percent” of house fires and 36 percent of the deaths and injuries are caused by cooking fires. Most of the time a stove or oven is left unattended or the fire may start because someone left an item (potholder, dish towel, cookbook or curtains) to close to the stove so it starts to burn.
Smoking is the leading cause of house fires deaths.
It is estimated that one out of four house fire deaths are smoking related. Most of the time, the fire is started by a cigarette. The smoker falls to sleep with a lite cigarette. It can also happen when a person throws the ashes from an ashtray in a waste basket and the ashes are still hot.
Heaters are the second most common causes of house fires. These fires usually happen in December, January and February and most of the time by fireplaces but also by space heaters.
There are two types of electrical fires that are most common; fires caused by lights and those caused by electrical systems. A lighting fire can be prevented by not using too large a wattage light bulb. By using too large wattage, the bulb gets too hot and burns the lamp shade.
Electrical system fires are usually caused by faulty wiring in the house. Sometimes the house is old and has old wiring throughout the house.
There is another cause we often forget about and that is chimney fires. We do not think about these because most people no longer have wood burning furnaces. For the most part natural gas and electric furnaces have replaced the wood burning boilers. However, these wood burning furnaces/ boilers are still in use in the mountain areas of our country. When there is a buildup of creosote in the chimney, it can burst into flames and you have what is known as a chimney fire.
For the most part house fires can be prevented. With a little more care and thought, we can cut down the number of house fires there are in the United States each year.