You’ve only been with your new boyfriend a short while and now his birthday is coming up. You are not one to throw yourself at any guy’s feet, but you do want this one to stay interested and stick around. You are not ready to fully expose your thoughts yet, but you would like him to have some idea of how you feel about him. What should you do for his birthday? What can you do to send an “I’m really interested” message without sounding needy and without chasing him away?
10) JOURNAL/SIGNED: A journal is personal enough without being intrusive. You can find very attractive journals and very masculine ones. A leather bound one would be great. I have received several different types. One had a soft, brown leather cover that was tied together with leather draw strings. It was very nice and very presentable in public. These books, designed to be journals, can be used for most anything, even just making notes, or sketching. Simple, affordable and not too revealing.
9) GIFT CERTIFICATE: Gift certificates are usually pretty safe. Find a restaurant your new boyfriend particularly likes and pick up a gift certificate for that restaurant. Most any restaurant will sell certificates today. Make it a restaurant and not a clothing store. Guys are drawn more to food than they are to clothes. The time will come when you can start working on what he wears, right now let’s keep his appetite satisfied. Besides, ultimately let’s hope you get to share in this gift.
8) CAR CLEANING KIT: Nine out of ten single guys will have this thing about their car; they want it clean. A very safe bet is one of those buckets that come filled with soap, whitewall cleaner, leather conditioner, wax, chammois, the works. I haven’t known a single fellow yet who doesn’t want to keep his car sparkling. It doesn’t matter what he is driving, it’s his “Cadillac” and he wants it clean.
7) ELECTRONICS: By now you probably have some sort of an idea what your new boyfriend likes in the way of music, games, movies and so on. This gift is versatile in that you can go any direction. Not all guys are gamers so don’t just grab a video game and give it to him. Besides, there are so many platforms today you really have to know what you are doing first. Same with music and the number of groups / bands available or movies. Keep your ears open and discover what one of his favorites is. New music, games or videos are always welcome.
6) EVENT TICKETS: Is your new guy a sports hound? Does he like live concerts? This is another gift that will require you to do a little sleuthing to discover his true interests. Plan an evening for him that is concentrated around a night of hockey with his favorite team or a standing room only concert with his favorite band. This is usually one of the most surprising gifts for him to receive. He just can’t believe you knew. Also, one more of those gifts we hope you get to share with him.
5) CANDY BAR BOUQUET: Flowers are great, they are beautiful and smell nice. Your boyfriend however, would rather get you the flowers. If you want to get him a bouquet, get him one that is made of candy bars. There are little shops that makes these for you, at a cost, or you can easily put one together yourself for about one third of the expense. Get several different candy bars to add color to your creation. Make sure to get one or two of your favorites as well.
4) NOVELTY PHOTO: Have a photo of yourself made into a button or a key chain or a magnet he can stick on his refrigerator. If he is with you than he is interested in you and likes to look at you. Keep your image in front of him as much as you can, do not let him forget you. A key chain is a clever way to make sure he has something to show his buddies also. Wallet photos are nice but most guys don’t like to carry photos in their wallets. Sitting on them all day tends to make the photo illegible after a short while.
3) ID BRACELET: These were very popular in the fifties, sixties and even the seventies. An ID bracelet is a very attractive piece of adornment without being too personal or too gaudy. It gives you a chance to do something special (engraving) yet not bare your deepest thoughts. They are attractive and very masculine, easy to wear without feeling fancy, and a great all around addition to any guys jewelry box.
2) PHOTOGRAPH/SIGNED: A specially posed for, nicely done, framed photo of your boyfriend’s favorite girl (YOU) will go a long way in telling your new boyfriend that you are really interested in him and you want him to feel the same about you. Not too pushy but a nice reminder of who you are and what he has on his hands. It also gives him something to look at and dream about when he is not with you. Not just any snapshot but one of those “special” photographer ones.
1) CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES: What guy can resist a hot platter of homemade chocolate chip cookies? Not the posers in the bag that scream “homemade” all over the package, but true, hot, cookies, fresh out of the oven. Say what you may about the fifties, but deep down, inside every guy’s mind, is the image of the little woman cooking for her big man. This is no more than a little taste of that long ago world. Just get a bucket of cookie dough, or a tube of it, make the little mounds on the cookie sheet and pop them in the oven. They are so easy to make today that even I can do it, but I absolutely love it when my wife does it for me.
There you have it. Impress that new boy friend, make him want to come back if only to see what you are going to do next. Good luck on your adventure and tell him I said Happy Birthday.