We hear so much now days about “going green” and “saving the planet,” but how do we go about doing it? There are a number of things we can do to make our planet a better place to live.
Most cities and counties have recycle bins to put stuff in. The paper and boxes go in one bin; glass in one, plastic in one and tin cans in another bin. Our trash collector makes it easier for us. They give us two trash cans; one for garbage and one for non-sort recyclables. . https://www.gogreen.org
At our house we try not to buy food in cans, instead we buy fresh or frozen food. In this way we do away with the cans and also the preservatives. We are also eating healthier as well. We have started to grow our own food, but it takes time to make a complete change.
By using products around the house that are “planet safe” it is not that hard to get used to going green. There are a lot of products we already have in our homes to clean our sinks, counters, and floors so it does not have to cost a lot to go green. https://www.MollyMaid.com
Here are a few tips on going green and save money too:
- · Set the thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few warmer in the summer.
- · When your light bulbs burn out replace them with the new fluorescent light bulbs.
- · Use energy saving power strips. These power strips will save phantom energy use when appliances are off.
- · Wash clothes in cooler water 85 percent of the energy to wash clothes goes to heat the water.
- · Using a clothes drying rack or outside on a clothesline will save on energy for the clothes dryer
- · Take shorter showers, this will save water and save money on electricity to heat the hot water.
- · Make sure the faucet is not dripping.
- · If you can, walk or ride a bike to work or take the bus.
These are all things we can do to make our planet a better place. However, it is only a start. If we each do our part a little at a time, our planet will be better and we will be healthier in the long run.