Why are there so many divorces? Because couples don’t tend their relationships. MSN Living lists lack of commitment as a top reason for divorce. We’re often too busy and we disconnect. Sad, given marriages are relatively easy to maintain. My husband and I have been married 27 years and ours is better than ever. Because we don’t take marriage or each other for granted. We nurture it, spending quality time together. Here are free and cheap romantic date suggestions from A to Z.
* Art museum. Look for free-to-public days. We love New Orleans Art Park and the Detroit Institute of Art.
* Community concert.
* Drive. Motor a romantic stretch of road– doesn’t have to be the Amalfi Coast–any scenic off-the-beaten path will do.
* Espresso shop. Sip bevvies outside for value-added romance.
* Flowers . Plant some together.
* Golf. Mini-golf that is. For a few bucks, we get lots of giggles and cuddling trying to “help” each other putt. .
* Hike. Dress comfy and bring binoculars to check out wildlife.
* Ice cream. Our staple date since we met in 1982.
* Just hang out together. Chat about life, love, hopes, dreams.
* Kid-free time. Time alone without children interrupting is date enough, sometimes.
* Library. Reading is romantic.
* Movie rental. Get a romantic film Redbox for a buck. Chick flicks aren’t just for chicks. Here’s my list of guy-favored chick flicks (based on husband’s suggestions). Or find a series to watch together. We were glued to ” Moonlighting” and “Homefront” back in the day.
* Nighttime swim. That’s hot.
* Outdoor candlelit supper . Put kids to bed or pop in a movie. Dine in the backyard. The perfect in-house date.
* Picnic . Pack easy clean-up foods, a bottle of wine and blanket for post-prandial naps.
* Quick walk, jog. Husband and I are on opposite schedules and he works 6-7 nights a week. We don’t have much time, but we make daily walks priority.
* Ride bikes. Date+exercise=extra relationship mojo!
* Stargaze. A blanket, an open field, a starry night–recipe for romance!
* Tennis, Frisbee, croquet, lawn games. Play in the back yard and save money on childcare.
* Used book store. Books are sexy, especially old ones.
* Volunteer together. The couple that helps others together, stays together.
* Watch sunset or sunrise. Redefines romantic.
* X out (shut off) iPhones, computer. They’re too virtual and not conducive to romance.
* Zoological gardens. Many are free. We like Avery Island in Louisiana and Belle Isle in Detroit.