These five tips that I have learned from over 20 years of on the job experience in the customer service profession could help you in any customer service position. Running a customer service desk can be demanding and stressful. It is hard not to take things personally or become angry toward unhappy or rude customers. Keeping these 5 simple tips in mind can ensure you keep your customers happy and have a happy boss.
- Smile: Always have a smile on your face. When you are talking on the phone your customer can hear it in your voice. Your customers should always think that you are happy to hear from them, whether it is in person or on the phone. Even when you have to fake it – smile.
- Treat every customer like they are your most important customer: Your customer needs to feel like their problem, no matter how small, is your number one priority. After talking with you, they should leave feeling like they are your most valued customer and their needs are important to you.
- Never say things like, “there’s nothing we can do”: There is always something that can be done. It may not be what the customer would prefer, but there is always a way to make things right. If you are unsure how to handle a situation, call your supervisor for guidance. Never tell a customer that you cannot do anything about it.
- Follow Through: If you tell a customer you will do something, do it within the time frame promised. If you tell them you will call them tomorrow with an update on the status of their refund; make sure you call them back tomorrow. If you tell them a supervisor will contact them, make sure a supervisor contacts them. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
- Follow Up: Once your customer is off the phone, or no longer on the other side of the counter, don’t forget about them just yet. Follow up with other departments, your supervisor, or anyone else involved, ensuring that your company or department has followed through. Check with the customer to ensure they received their refund, or that they were able to exchange the item they were unhappy with. Send them an email thanking them for their business and reassure them that you will be happy to assist them in the future.
No matter what kind of customer service you are involved in, these five simple tips can make all the difference. If your customers are happy, your boss is happy, and you will be too.