There are many things to consider when buying a dog for your family. Before you make that important choice of who you will be adding to your family, take a look at this guide to be sure all your bases are covered!
1. Breed Personality: You will want to do a lot of research into what the best kind of dog to get for your family situation. Each breed has its own unique personality and offers a perfect fit for each family if you do your homework. Also, certain breeds do better around children than others, so if you have children be extra careful.
2. Advantage of Breeders: Buying a pure-bred dog from a professional or hobby breeder will be much more expensive, but the added advantage of knowing your dogs lineage, family health history, and personality may be worth it to ensure you get the right dog for your situation. Many breeders are careful to breed out any major health issues and have a unique ability to know and match their pups personalities to prospective families.
3. Breed Health: The health problems of a breed are very important to look into as in the long run owning a dog breed which has complications will cost a fortune in vet bills. Pugs tend to have eye trouble, breeds with wrinkles need to be thoroughly cleaned, and German Shepherds are prone to hip problems. There are some breeds with very minimal health issues and its worth considering in order to calculate the actual cost of caring for your new pet.
4. Energy Level: Before buying a dog consider how much you will want your dog to interact with you. Some breeds are lap dogs and others will do laps around you, so depending on your personal level of activity you should choose a pet who will fit your lifestyle.
5. Space: Make sure you consider how much space in your home and yard you are willing to devote to your dog. Some dogs are huge and you will need a lot of space for the dog to roam. Don’t over look how much area your home has to host your new friends new life.
Finally, after you have made sure which breed is right for your family, be ready for a fun adventure with a new family friend!