There is nothing more satisfying than having a profession that you can thoroughly enjoy and grow with each day. For me, it is being a freelance writer. While the job isn’t for everyone, everyone does at one time or another read an article of interest. If I can pass on the knowledge, tips and secrets, I would be hard pressed to only find five. However, here are the five most important elements that I practice every day.
- Be Patient – Learning and navigating the field requires not only time but also consistency. If practiced as the first rule of thumb, the rewards will continue to improve.
- Be Creative– Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Being a freelance writer is all about learning something new each day. No two stories are ever alike, practice thinking outside of the box to realize the colors of the rainbow.
- Expand Your Audience– Through various social media sites and services, you can gain a whole new audience. Keep your profiles open and accessible to the general public. Promote your best pieces daily but not overwhelming to others. Encourage readers to return to your articles by creating pieces that are relevant to their lives and current in times. If you are able, take requests to write about topics that are of interest to others.
- Use Reliable Sources – Always double check the validity of your sources. Using open blogs and forums is rarely a reliable source of information. While you may use these sources as a creative measure, do not rely on them to prove or substantiate your work.
- Maintain Contact with Your Publishing Platform– While many freelance writers may choose to write for several clients, as a new professional in the field, try to limit yourself to one until your experience builds and your audience grows. Check back with your Editors for additional opportunities several times a day. Paid articles can be quickly snatched up from others looking to increase their bankroll. While awaiting a paid assignment, continue to write on a variety of subjects, series or passions. Never limit yourself to only paid assignments. Through expansive writings you are constantly showing your dedication and skills to those who matter most.
The life of a freelance writer may not always be exciting and fun, but as your story unfolds, you become a powerful and knowledgeable being. With hard work and dedication, your opportunities are limitless.