I grew up with a health-nut mom. You know those kinds. Salads for lunch and organic ham on whole wheat bread. Facial lotion applied every night to keep my skin moisturized. She even shaved off apple peels because she didn’t want me eating the wax used to make them appear shinier than they are when they’re first picked.
One thing that all kids with health-nut moms have in common is that they grow up constantly craving junk food, all of the good stuff that is bad for you: Doritos, nachos and cheese, marshmallows, etc. It wasn’t until I started college and rented my own apartment that I realized what I ate was completely up to me. Living right by the only 7-11 in town with outrageously high prices for the most essential products, I decided that I wasn’t going to spend my first few paychecks on food that would be sub-standard for my health. If I was going to shell out the big bucks, why would I want to put garbage into my body?
As a vegetarian, I decided to upgrade my diet and buy organic fruits and vegetables, cook my own meals with homemade sauces, and exclude GMOs permanently. The result? I felt healthier than I had ever been in my entire life. Here are five benefits of a diet cleanse:
- Your immune system becomes stronger. With the proper nutrients and lower amounts of preservatives and chemicals from unhealthy foods, your body fights off illnesses better. You’ll also notice that you get sick less often.
- Your energy levels increase. Toxins in your body can make you feel sluggish or unenergetic. Fatigue kicks in. By doing a detox, you’ll find that it’s easier to wake up in the morning and motivate yourself to keep your body moving.
- You get rid of excess waste. Drinking a lot of water helps with bloating and (obviously) keeps you hydrated. Considering the types of food we put into our body such as saturated fats, artificial sweeteners and processed food, detoxifying your body can prevent negative side effects to your health.
- Your integumentary system becomes healthier. Your skin, hair and nails become stronger and cleaner when you do a diet cleanse. Skin becomes clearer and smoother, and hair and nails are shinier as well.
- You will want to continue on your health hike. Overall, a clean, strong body means a healthy, more able and focused body. In just under two nights, a diet cleanse will make you feel more alert and beautiful.